Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the AR type guns... and have read a bunch on each of these. They read well,and I've watched vids.. About the same price too
And I don't know enough about the usual features to know what's good to start with.
They both seems great entry level AR's.

I realize I'm asking a Ruger forum,but any knowledge one way or the other would be appreciated.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Isn't the Saint more expensive than the AR556? I read an article about it a month or two ago but I can't remember now. I do know the Ruger is good. You can choose from a dozen or more good entry level ARs though. I wouldn't limit myself to just those two.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The saint is maybe $200 more...

You mention others..what names stand out?
What are good things to look for,etc??
Thanks

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Take a look at the S&W m&p sport II

·
Registered
992 Posts
Some names that have entry level ARs with decent reputations, are DPMS, Stag Arms, Smith & Wesson, and if you watch to find them on sale you can get Bushmaster and Rock River for less than 800. There are others as well. You might find a smaller company in your area that has a good deal. My own AR came from a small shop in my state, I got it for $850. It had a few extras like an adjustable trigger for that price. Colt is a little more pricey but kind of the gold standard.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I own an AR 556, and I've shot a number of S&W Sports. Both are comparable in price, but I prefer my Ruger. There are a lot of good choices in the Ruger price range, so with the Ruger being American made, and they have excellent customer service, I chose the AR 556. I would chose it again.
I don't know about the Springfield. I'm sure that it's good, but it is also new; I'd pick the Ruger simply because it has been out for a while and proven.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm leaning toward the Ruger..I like the fact ,that with any of them, you can modify/add options easily.
As I learn I'm sure I'll develop preferences.
I don't know enough to have any right now

I'm talking to a guy tomorrow about doing a 'basic' build. He has a good rep around here.
Uses JEM parts and some other names I can't think of right now.

Thanks all for the input. More welcomed.
Of if there's any readin material you suggest for AR newbs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Saint is new on the market. I would go with the Ruger. I have friends that have them and love them! Plus Ruger's customer service is top notch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts