Ruger 556 or Springfield Armory Saint?

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by Eatapeach, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Eatapeach

Eatapeach New Member

I'm new to the AR type guns... and have read a bunch on each of these. They read well,and I've watched vids.. About the same price too
    And I don't know enough about the usual features to know what's good to start with.
    They both seems great entry level AR's.

I realize I'm asking a Ruger forum,but any knowledge one way or the other would be appreciated.

2. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Isn't the Saint more expensive than the AR556? I read an article about it a month or two ago but I can't remember now. I do know the Ruger is good. You can choose from a dozen or more good entry level ARs though. I wouldn't limit myself to just those two.

3. Eatapeach

Eatapeach New Member

The saint is maybe $200 more...

You mention others..what names stand out?
    What are good things to look for,etc??
    Thanks

4. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Can't go wrong with a Colt LE6920.

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Take a look at the S&W m&p sport II

6. spikedriver

Some names that have entry level ARs with decent reputations, are DPMS, Stag Arms, Smith & Wesson, and if you watch to find them on sale you can get Bushmaster and Rock River for less than 800. There are others as well. You might find a smaller company in your area that has a good deal. My own AR came from a small shop in my state, I got it for $850. It had a few extras like an adjustable trigger for that price. Colt is a little more pricey but kind of the gold standard.

7. hodge

hodge New Member

I own an AR 556, and I've shot a number of S&W Sports. Both are comparable in price, but I prefer my Ruger. There are a lot of good choices in the Ruger price range, so with the Ruger being American made, and they have excellent customer service, I chose the AR 556. I would chose it again.
    I don't know about the Springfield. I'm sure that it's good, but it is also new; I'd pick the Ruger simply because it has been out for a while and proven.

8. spikedriver

One I forgot to mention is Del-ton. They seem to make pretty good stuff.

9. Eatapeach

Eatapeach New Member

I'm leaning toward the Ruger..I like the fact ,that with any of them, you can modify/add options easily.
    As I learn I'm sure I'll develop preferences.
    I don't know enough to have any right now

I'm talking to a guy tomorrow about doing a 'basic' build. He has a good rep around here.
    Uses JEM parts and some other names I can't think of right now.

Thanks all for the input. More welcomed.
    Of if there's any readin material you suggest for AR newbs.

survivaladvisor likes this.
  10. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

11. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Member

The Saint is new on the market. I would go with the Ruger. I have friends that have them and love them! Plus Ruger's customer service is top notch.