Ruger 450 bushmaster

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by shootistsammy, Oct 22, 2017.

1. shootistsammy

shootistsammy New Member

Hello:just purchaed a Ruger 450 Bushmaster,got it all sighted in for hunting,using Hornady 250 gr. FTX ammo,shoots very well.Does anyone have other info on this firearm.

2. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Which 450 Bushmaster did you buy? I would like to see a review on it!
    I am tempted by the GSR in that chambering, and think the #1 would be the cat's meow.

I built an upper for the 450 Bushmaster and love it. I really wanted a 458 SOCOM, but changed my mind when Ruger introduced the Ranch rifle in 450 B. My nephew built his upper in 458 SOCOM so I have been able to do a pretty direct comparison.

The 450 B is a good round. Except for cost to shoot it is superceded by the 458 SOCOM in every way. I like the bottleneck case and the rifle bullets the SOCUM uses. That said the 450 Bushmaster is the more popular round and it will work well for anything that walks in my neck of the woods.

I like the Speer 260 grain bullet for the cartridge. I can push it to 2000 fps or more with LilGun powder and get decent performance from the bullet. The bullet is soft, as are most 45 Colt bullets and expands violently. I tried the Lee 452-255-RF, but it leads horribly using my standard wheel weight alloy. I bought somevatamony to harden it up a bit but never tried it with the 255 grain bullet yet. Bought the Lee C252-300-RF bullet and never looked back. It has a flatter metplat and a gas check. Not tried it on a deer yet, but it will shoot through a pig stem to stern. And no leading. I need to try the Remington 260 grain accutip or the Hornady 250 grain FTX. These are supposed to be tougher bullets designed for the 450 Bushmaster.

Reloading is the same as for the various semi-automatic pistol cartridges. It headspace on the mouth, so no roll crimps. The cartridge will experience bullet pull due to the recoil, so any magazine over 5 rounds is unnecessary in my opinion.

The 458 SOCOM, being a bottleneck round, headspace on the shoulder, plus it uses standard .458 bullets designed for the 45-70 and such. You don't have the over expansion issue as with the 450 B.

3. shootistsammy

shootistsammy New Member

450 ruger bushmaster

Hello Greg:Yes i bought a ruger 450 bushmaster this year for deer hunting,sighted it in with Hornady 250 gr.ftx ammo,and the accuracy was very good,I could cover 5 shots with a quarter at 50 yards.

4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Ruger Bushmaster

Attached Files:

5. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

No info,but congrats on the rifle.

6. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Looks like it would do the job.

7. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

What's the max range on one of those? And would I need a paramedic after shooting it? (I'm not a big fan of recoil...):eek:

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

A medic with the training that they used to get in Special Forces for duty in those eight man teams that went - well, far into the bush; one of those guys would probably do for the job. Long as you ain't too creaky now.

9. spikedriver

A torn rotator cuff in my strong side shoulder is my main problem. But I just don't like getting beat up while doing something that's supposed to be fun...

10. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I don't have a 450B, but I do have several 45-70's. The recoil can be from mild to brutal, depending on how you load them. I have a 300 grain hunting load that will rattle your teeth, and a 405 and 500 grain cast loads that are pretty mild.

I shoot the 45/70 out to 500 yards. Even 1000 yards a few times, but I new the range. Once I got it dialed in hits we're usually not uncommon. ( Notice I did not say every time!). At 1000 yards it went something like this, Bang...drink a cup of coffee and tell a fishing lie or two...Clang!

In the real hunting world, if I think I will shoot much more than 100 - 125 yards I bring something else.

The 45-70 (and the 458 SOCOM) use rifle bullets, the 450 Bushmaster essentially uses pistol bullets. They say it's a 250 yard gun.

Edit: that Ruger #1 is sweet isn't it!

11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I have it figured about like Greg does, Spike. Both of us are pretty much guessing, but we're guessing the same way - that the 450 Bushmaster talks back about like a 'factory load' 45-70 would, pushing 300gr bullets. After that, it depends on the gun you're shooting it out of. I had a partially torn rotator cuff when I owned that Marlin 1895; factory loads were not a big deal.

What we need here is a gunner who has fired the round in question. Preferably not Jim, because he doesn't notice recoil until it knocks him down.

12. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ok...
    I won't chime in...

Yeah right..:D

I do not own a 450 Bushmaster.
    The 45-70 is a proven work horse and has been for over a hundred years.

I have shot a BM 450, good round, no problem.

But does it, will it, do what can be done with the 45-70 gov? Nope.

Recoil, ? 450 Bm is (with factory ammo, don't know anyone reloading it) likened to the .308 to me...

I appreciate what Greg posted on the 45-70,
    Wish someone would post some experience with the 450 BM.

Gosh...I wish someone woud come up with a long gun for the .460 magnum.:dunno::D

Jim

13. spikedriver

^^^ I see a custom barrel for a Ruger #1 in your future, Jim!

14. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Oh Yessss,

I'd sell my house to jump on a 460 magnum barrel to go on a Ruger #1.:cool::cool:

Better yet, if Ruger came out with a RAR in 460.:cool:

Jm

15. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

But I have shot the 450B.

It's a good round, but not as good as the 45/70 or the 458 SOCOM.. IMHO. I sold my 450B, well the barrel, bolt, loading dies, and magazines. I will build another large caliber upper for my AR, but it will be a 458 SOCOM, or its little brother, the 375 SOCOM.

I don't want to knock the 450B too bad though. I went into the build wanting something else. The 450B upper was a compromise. Cost and availibity vs want. I caved to cost and availibity and just was not satisfied. As I noted in my first post in this thread I think the SOCOM surpasses the Bushmaster in every aspect (except cost and avaibility) from case design to bullet selection, but the Bushmaster is adequate.

16. gldnrtvr

gldnrtvr New Member

Come on guys!Yes the 45/70 is a great round! How about giving the 450BM a chance!

17. Lobster1960

Lobster1960 New Member

But nobody sells a 45/70 that is bolt action. That is affordable.