Ruger 1911 LW9 mags

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by warbird1, Mar 4, 2017.

1. warbird1

warbird1 New Member

Anyone know who makes them? NO emblem, name or country of origin indicated.

2. warbird1

warbird1 New Member

Never mind....Checkmate.

3. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Who makes them?

4. warbird1

warbird1 New Member

Apparently a company named Checkmate. Some have complained about the original mags but they work fine for me. Two Mec Gar mags that I bought have been problematic. I'm about to test two McCormick mags that I just purchased. Hoping for the best. Love the pistol!

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Warbird,

Please let me know how the McCormick's work out. I have a SR1911 9mm and am having problems with the Ruger 8 round mags. One of my mags, the most I can load is 5 rounds. I cannot find any mags around the Phoenix/Mesa area.

Thanks,
    Tommy

6. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

Wilson 10 round 9mm mags worked fine in my CMD.

7. warbird1

warbird1 New Member

Will do! Test next week.

8. warbird1

warbird1 New Member

CMC mags same as the MecGars. I may try a Wilson Combat when Midway gets them back in stock. Otherwise, the originals may be the way to go.

9. hodge

hodge New Member

My originals cycle fine, but they are still very tight to load. I went shooting on Tuesday, taking a very experienced friend with me. On a side note, he has shot 1911 for many years, and was very impressed with the 1911 LW9. He noticed that the mags were tight to load, and commented that I should load them up and leave them for a couple of weeks. I informed him that they had been loaded for 8 months...

10. warbird1

warbird1 New Member

I really am starting to believe that this firearm needs the stout magazine springs to work right. I am going to order some more stronger springs to put in the Mec Gar mags to find out for sure.

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I was having the same problem with my SR1911 9mm magazines. I called Ruger and talked to Corine. I told her that one of my mags would only take 5 rounds and I could not load another round into the mag due to the spring tension. She said she would send a new mag out right away. I called her on Thursday and received it Friday. Spectacular service!!!! She said that usually loading the 7th round you would experience some problems until the mag spring is broken in and then it should be okay. If not, then contact her and she would replace them. They also have an outlet in Ga. I believe and she called them and hooked me up on the phone. They carry Ruger 9mm mags but the price is $39.95 plus shipping. I would think that you could buy a Chip McCormick or even a Wilson for the same amount or less money. MHO only!

Tommy

12. warbird1

warbird1 New Member

My Chip McCormick mags have the same occasional problem as my Mec Gar mags with occasional failure to feed. Went to the gun show today and found a new Wilson Combat mag for $40. Will see if it has any problems on my next range trip.

13. warbird1

warbird1 New Member

Traded the Ruger on a Sig 1911 Nightmare. No more experimenting with mags. I do have my 4 extra mags for a future 9. :)