Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm considering purchasing a 10/22, but would like to have the option to shoot subsonic ammo. Have you had luck cycling subsonic, and if so which ammo? I have a Winchester model 190 and it will not cycle Winchester 42 grain subsonic 22LRs. Thanks!

Todd

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think a semi auto .22 lr requires at least "standard velocity" 40 gr. Ammo to function properly. Otherwise it's a bolt action with a detachable magazine.

·
Registered
451 Posts
For the most part, the Ruger 10/22 will not cycle reliably with subsonic ammo, it must be modified with a recoil spring kit for this. I have a friend who used subsonic 60-grain ammo but he did the Recoil spring mod & changed the barrel to a 20" 1:9 twist, threaded barrel and it's a tac driver now after doing the modification. Sub Sonic Ammo is not designed to operate in the semi-automatics period they all must be modifyed due to their Blow Back recoil operation design the subsonic ammo just doesn't produce the energy required to cycle this ammo some worn-out guns may cycle sometimes but not reliably.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will the Carbine length 10/22 simply not cycle with most subsonic ammo, or will it jam? I'm okay with cycling it myself, but jamming is another issue.

·
Patriot
2,178 Posts
For the most part, the Ruger 10/22 will not cycle reliably with subsonic ammo, it must be modified with a recoil spring kit for this. I have a friend who used subsonic 60-grain ammo but he did the Recoil spring mod & changed the barrel to a 20" 1:9 twist,
Odd because my 10/22 carbine (18.5") will cycle CCI Green Tag ([email protected] FPS), CCI Standard Velocity ([email protected] FPS) and Remington "Target" Standard Velocity, all subsonic.
Never tried any ammo with 60gr bullets.

Mag

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't think Standard Velocity loads are considered "subsonic", for purposes of functioning in a .22lr semi auto.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I find the CCI 1070 std to work quite well in all my .22's with a suppressor. The really quiet 780 fps(?) load they have will not cycle any auto's, pistol or rifle reliably in my experience. I use it strictly in bolt guns.

·
Patriot
2,178 Posts
So is my 10/22 a fluke in that it will cycle the ammo I mentioned above?
Are you guys talking about 10/22 rifles that are not functioning with that type ammo?

Mag
Edit: I just re-read your post LMB (now understand I do) so I don't think my question counts anymore. Lol
:LOL:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts