Ruger 10/22 Trigger

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by Chris4165, Mar 18, 2014.

1. BOOHOO YOU HURT MY FEELINGS :(:(:(:(:D

2. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I bought a Clark trigger kit for I think about $55 for my synthetic stock 10/22. It is supposed to let off at 3#. Feels about right to me. It has an over-travel adjustment and it ain't plastic. Just what I need for my small game hunting and plinking rifle.
    A Vortex 2-7 Diamondback scope in $18 Leopold "Rifleman" mounts.
    Tons of fun (and cheap ammo) experimenting with different pressure pad thicknesses under the barrel at the barrel band and no piece of paper, tin can or small game animal is safe.
    Works for my needs.
    BTW. You can't buy a usable, reliable scope for $31. Just sayin.

SGW Gunsmith likes this.

3. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

In many cases, I've found that removing the barrel band will improve groups. That works mainly because in some instances the barrel band pulls the barrel downward, and groups will open up as the barrel heats up. Might be something to try.

MagBlackhawk likes this.
  4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yeah, I wanted to keep the barrel band. I guess just for looks, can't really explain why. I'm funny that way. Lol
    As my rifle came out of the box it would shoot 50 yd groups that were too large, about half high and the others at POA with a cold barrel.
    After the barrel warmed up a little all shots grouped well enough, for an out of box 10/22, but hits went lower and lower as it warmed.
    When "fully warm" it grouped well enough for me but as you know a hunting rifle needs to be on target cold. I decided under barrel pressure had to be changing as it warmed so I got the idea to make an under the barrel pressure pad. After lots of experimentation I got it to group the same cold or warm and probably as good as I am able to hold that light weight rifle.
    I'm sure it shoots better than I am able to in a hunting situation, out in the field. That's all I really need.
    This was going on just before the Obummer inspired ammo shortage.
    I planed to do bedding experiments but the ammo shortage stopped that. Now I seem to have lost interest in going further with the 10/22 so... Good enough.
    But thanks for the suggestion SGW :)

Mag

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  5. SGW Gunsmith

Your pressure pad in the barrel channel was a very good plan and idea. and glad to read that it worked well for you. :)
    Let's hope that shooting our .22 firearms gets back to normal soon, as shooting these firearms is just too much fun to go without doing. Hopefully the .22 ammunition "pandemic" ends very soon.

6. SGW Gunsmith

For some of my **SPECIAL** 10/22 assemblies, I use and gladly prefer the KIDD triggers. They can have safe trigger pull weight down into the 8 to 12 ounce range:
    [​IMG]
    But, then again, I've had a pretty well paying job since I was 19, as an eventual "journeyman toolmaker" for 16½ years, and not been brow beaten into submission by some psychopathic DI for a monthly pittance, until retirement. :(

[​IMG]