Ruger 10/22 Mods Advice

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by streakpi, Apr 10, 2013.

1. streakpi

streakpi New Member

Howdy, yes...I am a n00b to this site...never had a reason to chat about my LCP or Ruger 10/22. However, I recently decided to do some fun stuff to the 10/22 - so I need your advice. I did a search of the site - but simply don't have all day to look at all the threads. If you want to simply send me the link, I can look there! :)

I have a 10/22 Sporter right outta the box - bought in 2011.

I bought a TAPCO Intrafuse Tactical Trainer in black. I also have a TRS-25 red dot sight on top using the Ruger supplied mount. Also bought a TAPCO short vertical grip. I'm using factory Ruger 25rd mags.

Here is what I need (would like everything to be black) -
    1. An extended bolt (which I don't need to modify to fit this TAPCO kit...I'm not handy with lathes!!).
    2. Also want a front sight - maybe a HIVIZ?
    3. Finally, thinking of a light to hang on the front right rail. I use TLR-1s on one of my ARs and my shotgun. I may want to go push button - no wires...something LIGHT.

Also interested in a extended magazine release (maybe). I have the factory mag release and it works pretty well.

So - advice? I will keep checking threads on this site, but I know MANY of you have probably done a bunch of fact checking and parts buying already...and have found what works and does not work. I want to work smarter, not harder.

Thank you!

2. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

I can't recommend any specific extended bolt or front sight since I've not used them.

On the light, I absolutely love the TLR-1 and use it on everything from Glocks, to ARs, to 10/22s. I like the standard switch on them, but you can get a remote pressure switch for the TLR too. I've used the M3 lights as well (that's what our SWAT team issued) and they are a fine light, but the TLR just seems brighter and more durable.

On the extended mag release, I have fallen in love with the Tactical Solutions extended mag release. It wraps all the way under the trigger guard making for super easy/fast access and hasn't gotten in the way or accidently released on me yet.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...0-22-extended-magazine-release-prod26802.aspx

Here's a couple pics of the old and the new setup on my 10/22 tapco

Attached Files:

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Thread moved to correct subforum: Gunsmithing

4. streakpi

streakpi New Member

I guess that is why I have the TLR-1S on several other weapons as well. I would mount on the side since my TRS-25 sits low.

What kind of "flash suppressor" do you have on the front of your rifle? Ever thought of getting a MAGPUL stock? I've seen the extended magazine release mentioned online...will have to look for some videos with it.

Thank you for the help!

BREAK

Thanks Mod for putting this in the right thread.

5. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

The flash suppressor on mine is a standard AR15/M4

I've read the commercial size buttstocks will work on the tapco, but I've not tried it. Would be cool to have a different one on there like a MOE or CTR maybe.

6. streakpi

streakpi New Member

My first modifications are complete, here is it.

Version 1 - the original:

[​IMG]

Version 2 - the upgrade:

[​IMG]

7. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Mine are kinda old school stuff. Got a couple of stainless ones. They are set up with Butler Creek side folders. Have some old Rem Line 25 rounders for them that are really old Not much for hanging alot of other stuff on ithem. They both have 4X32 Simmons on them.

A n[​IMG]ot so good pic of one. They are twins.