Ruger 10/22 Magazine Problems...

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by rcmark, Nov 26, 2016.

1. rcmark

rcmark New Member

I have six 10 round mags.
    5 work.
    1 will not work, it will consistently shoot 6-8 rounds and then stops (FTF,FTE).
    I have taken it apart and tried different spring tensions - no help.

SUGGESTIONS?

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Use the 5 that work. Ask Ruger CS what to do with the bad one.

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Throw the 6th mag away. Magazines are not an indispensable item. Feed lips get bent, springs get worn out etc.

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^^ That's it.

:GadsdenFlag:

5. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

This just irritates me. Its the all too common thing now, the knee jerk reaction. Now maybe I'm reading it wrong but to me that just says, "hey, this isn't working, gimme a new one". Why not accept that it has an issue and spend the $20 for a new one? Better yet, figure out why it won't work.
    Have you tried changing springs from a good one to a bad one? With ones that work and ones that don't, it's not difficult to find the likely part causing the issue. Find that part and buy that part.

How many full turns are you giving the spring?

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hey Blkhawk73,
    The manual tells you not to take the magazine apart. Will they even sell you parts for it?
    They've replaced two for me, free of charge.

No one was irritated as far as I could tell.
    Don't you see, that's the way Ruger keeps us buying Ruger, great CS.

I was thinking the next time one screwed up I'd take it apart and clean it real good.
    So, how many turns are you supposed to give the spring? I'll need to know when the time comes.

:GadsdenFlag:

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I think I will ask Blkhawk73 for detailed repair instructions. Not now, I'd lose them, but when the occasion arises.

8. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

And you follow every word in the manual for everything, right? Never deviating from exactly what it says? :roll eyes: I'm not sure about Ruger themselves, but there are other sources for parts and pieces. If not, if a whole $20 for a new magazine is such a financial burden, the sport as a whole may not be the best choice of where $ should be going.
    The irritating part is that everyone expects everything to last forever and if it doesn't, it's a knee-jerk reaction to just expect another for free. Yes, it's great cs but think just how much they spend on just giving away stuff? Wonder if all those that jump on this route guarantee everything they do forever... If some of your work it's 100% in 10, 20 years, will you freely and willingly jump back and fix to for free? Now if these were brand new, maybe a year old I'd be bothered but anything past that, especially with a respectful amount of use...keep for parts, spend the whopping $20 for a new one.
    Now, remember, you can't take that apart next time it messes up, the manual says so! :p Shudder thinking how many times I've broken this rule. :duck: Disassemble, do my thing to them (usually dye 'em), reassemble and done...a whole 10 minutes of hands-on time turning the screws and making those 8 full turns of the spring.

No, no, the manual says not to do that. :p However...there's this thing called youtube... Shhhhhh.....:rayoff:

9. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

A friend of mine bought a High Standard 22lr and it had problems feeding rounds and was constantly jamming. He was going to take it back to the pawn shop but checked online for information about it. He found information that stated the tabs on top of the magazine get bent over thus causing the feed problems. He bent the tabs out just a little and now the problem is gone.
    I don't have the link he used for the repair though.
    As far as warranty goes I feel manufacturers that choose to provide lifetime warranties expect I sure am not going to forget about it and possibly throw away or spend money on an warrantied item. You know what really helps a company sell its products? The company customer service after the sale is the biggest reason for customer loyalty. I am guessing that's why Ruger has such great customer service. They aren't stupid and if their CS was not cost effective they wouldn't be doing it. For that reason I have no problem using the warranty rather than just buying another item even if it's only going to cost $20.

So say I do decide to fix a problem and I end up breaking the item does the warranty cover an item I broke because I tried to fix it? Say I broke the tabs off a magazine while trying to repair it. I think my chances of getting it replaced under warranty now that I broke the tabs off are almost nil because then the defect is no longer manufacturer related.

My suggestion is look at a problem to see if it can be easily repaired. If not then send it in for warranty. Warranties are not made for customer boogered up damages.

10. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Show me Ruger's warrantee. ;)

11. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Basically not many gun makers offer a written warranty due to this litigation society we live in. The Magnuson-Moss Act does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. A written warranty must have limitations{limited} and or inclusions{full} that it is not in the best interests of the manufacturer to provide one. Therefore Ruger as well as most other gun makers have a customer service number to call for possible warranty repairs on their guns.

Basically Ruger's warranty IMO is repair or replacement due to defective manufactured parts. Ruger has probably the best customer service in the gun industry. All it takes is a phone call rather than rush out and purchase a new replacement or expense of a gunsmith.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  12. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Not gonna keep beating this. Plenty of manufacturers offer written and limited warrantees but regardless, I guess I'm just one that doesn't get a flurry if something doesn't last forever and then clamor for a free replacement. It's a knee-jerk thing across the industry and pretty much society as a whole. Everyone wants absolute perfection yet they themselves gives far from that. If the cost of a new magazine is such an issue then by all means make the call, plead your case and smile as they send you a new one.