Ruger 10/22 Bolt Lock Release - Whats the trick ?

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by rjtmac, Oct 12, 2013.

1. rjtmac

rjtmac Texan by Birth • Grace

I purchased a new 10/22 Tactical last month. I seem to be vastly lacking in my ability here to do a simple task. When I lock the bolt on the gun I have the dam_edest time getting it to release. When I do get it done I can't seem to easily reproduce the "trick" I just accomplished to get it to release. I have to work and work at depressing the bolt release and trying to find the "sweet spot" where I am successful.

[​IMG] Is this a common thing or is does the gun need to be looked at or am I just totally inept here ? [​IMG]

Never have had this kind of problem with any kind of release on a firearm.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  2. ScottyShooter

ScottyShooter New Member

I had the same trouble when I first got mine. Take the magazine out and the release knob kind of pivots in and out. It is hard to explain but once you figure it out it works every time.

3. rjtmac

O.K. after a lot of trial and error I found the "trick" which translates to "the right way to do it". I was pressing in and holding the bolt lock in while I was trying to release the bolt from the locked position.

Wrong, hold the bolt back as far as you can and release the bolt lock completely and then the bolt easily slides forward.

Feel like a real dunce here. Thanks for the help !!

4. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

5 minutes with a Dremel and this can be remedied. A bit of reshaping the catch hole and it becomes much easier.

5. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

been there done that, works like a charm!!

6. Reagan

Reagan New Member

Auto Bolt Release, upgrade,.......Priceless !

Sent from my iPad using Ruger Forum

7. DDubya

DDubya Member

You can find videos on You Tube that show you how to do it yourself or buy a modified bolt release on Ebay.

8. ExNavy1992

ExNavy1992 New Member

Doable with a small round file if you don't have a Dremel.

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

9. rjtmac

Since finding the "trick" or proper way to do this I have had "Zero" issues with releasing the bolt lock.

Just a matter of training myself to think a little different process. I am just used to pressing something "IN" to release it not to press "IN" and then release completely to accomplish the same task.

Don't really feel a need to do any "metal removal" to get it to work properly.

I really appreciate all of the advice and help. I was about ready to chunk the gun because of this ... was really disappointed after reading all of the positives and glowing endorsements of the 10/22. I purchased it mainly for the grand kids to shoot. I was really concerned about the massive amount of trouble to clear a jam or just to clear the weapon after use with them using it.

10. blakesawyer

blakesawyer New Member

Could be a defect, as much as ruger doesn't want to admit it, they do make mistakes from time to time. Are you still under warranty and/or did you purchase it used?

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

11. morph860

morph860 New Member

Voltaquarten bolt release mod. Best $10-15 you'll ever spend on your 10/22.