Ruger #1 & SP101

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dogkinkead, Jul 27, 2015.

1. dogkinkead

dogkinkead New Member

Hi,
    New to this forum, long time Ruger collector but don't spend a lot of time on forums. Quick question to all, I read a comment in either an issue of Handloader or Rife, probably Rif,e that the Ruger #1 was limited production. Can anyone confirm this? It's one of my favorite rifles, I own a couple or so. Second question, at the last Chantilly gun show I picked up a SP101 in 327 Federal with the short barrel. I'm not seeing the fixed sight short barrel advertised in either Gunborker, Auction Arms or on the Ruger web site. When was it discontinued and why?
    Thanks,
    Dogkinkead.

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Welcome - and I dunno. You'd have to really be paying attention to hit on something I think I know something about.

3. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Welcome! We're glad you've joined us!
    Someone here will have an idea and will chime in :)

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Ruger quit making the SP101 .327 magnum maybe around 2012/13 but have just recently put it back in production. The SP101 is a very well made revolver. The .327 magnum round is a bit expensive which I think was reason the guns went out of production a few years ago. Several gun makers had the .327 mag guns and most all had quit making them about the same time period. Supposedly the .327 mag guns have had a surge in demand lately. The most common Ruger .327 I think had the 3" barrel. Shooting the .32 S&W round the gun is really sweet to shoot. The .327 mag will seem like you have a whole other gun due to the recoil. The first thing I did was change out the oem grips for Houge Tammers and that made heck of better shooting experience with the .327 mags.
    I seldom see used SP101 .327 guns for sale. They are a very nice gun.
    Here is pic of mine that I sold.
    Welcome to the forum and we like seeing pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  5. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to RugerTalk...thanks for joining.

I am also a Ruger #1 fan, They are still in production (not so many though)
    The first one rolled out in 1967, and is chambered in more calibers than any rifle I know,
    a n d... Leonard Brownell...the the designer, at Ruger, said he never could blow one up in testing.

I relaod some hot stuff in 45-70 gov for mine, and it dont even sneeze..;):)

Jim

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Betcha you use your Lead Sled when you shoot it...

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey VT,

Believe it or not,
    Im kind of a recoil nut/addict....go figure:rolleyes:

I only use the sled when sighting in a rifle.

It s actually easier on the body to shoot big recoil while free standing,
    shootin off a rest, on a bench ,while sitting, doesnt let your body flow with the recoil.

I do love me some big boomers.:cool::D

Jim

8. dogkinkead

dogkinkead New Member

I love my #1 in 45-70 and have hot rodded it once or twice but since decided it was not woth destroying the brass. The only #1 I've ever sold was in 458 Win Mag and that was at the suggestion of my doctor!!

9. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

Welcome from Texas!