Ruger’s semi auto reputation

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by striker9mil, Jun 4, 2018.

1. striker9mil

striker9mil New Member

I have heard from numerous people that Ruger isn’t exactly known for their semi auto pistols. Can anyone tell me why this is?

I never had one issue with my 9mm Rugers. I have never had one malfunction. So why does Ruger have this reputation with semi autos? Is it the weight? Is it because they are bulky?

2. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

I have small hands and I looked at over a hundred pistols and bought the SR9 because it fit my hand best I now own a SR22 and a Mark III 22/45. The later could be a reason many do not think much of the Ruger Semiautomatic as it was a bear to learn how to assemble correctly after cleaning. I also think their fine quality revolvers overshadow their semiautomatics.

striker9mil likes this.

3. striker9mil

striker9mil New Member

The SR9 is a good option! I used to own one before moving on to the American. Despite the tank like features of the American I miss the lighter weight of the SR9 and it’s thinner profile. But yea I heard that Ruger fixed the difficult takedown process with the Mark IV.

4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Ruger has a good reputation with providing dependable semi automatics at a price point. Are they the best? I don't think so, but they are good enough. Ruger started with the P Series and now they have the Security 9 playing the same roll. The LCP ad EC9s are of the same mold.

Ruger hit a home run with their SR1911 and MK series pistols, but I agree with you. Revolvers are where Ruger shines.

5. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

The people who told you Ruger isn't known for semi autos, are probably Glock people, who can't seem to stomach the idea that any other pistol besides a Glock can be of high quality or reliable. Ignore it and enjoy your Ruger.

striker9mil and 67stingray like this.
  6. striker9mil

striker9mil New Member

I can see that. The Glock is a great option but its fanboys can get a little out of control at times.

7. mrmike7189

mrmike7189 Member

I've owned Ruger P89's and I currently have a P944. excellent guns imo.
    heavy, but very rugged. I also own Glocks. They are both quality guns.

chipmeister62 and striker9mil like this.
  8. DPLongo22

DPLongo22 New Member

I don't find the LC9S Pro to be bulky at all. It's actually my favorite EDC.

I've got some others though (not just Rugers)... :-o

striker9mil likes this.
  9. striker9mil

striker9mil New Member

I also own guns that are not Rugers but the majority of my options are Rugers just because I know Ruger will take care of me. I agree that there are plenty of great options outside of Ruger but in my opinion Ruger is the greatest company on Earth

DPLongo22 likes this.
  10. GuyTp

GuyTp New Member

11. GuyTp

GuyTp New Member

I'm new here so I' sorry for not understanding how the forum works. I'm a gunsmith in Indiana I'm working on a Ruger model 96 that has a bad firing pin. Having a hard time finding one. Trying to stretch the one that's in it. Not trying to bother anyone but, my client asked me to find out how old it was. S/N 620-7798. I found one that wanted $10 to tell me what year it was. Thanks for letting me in to the forum

striker9mil likes this.
  12. striker9mil

striker9mil New Member

I would call Ruger over the phone. They are open Monday through Friday during normal business hours. They will happily give you that information for free. They gave me the manufacturing dates for all of my Rugers. That information is stored in their database and can be quickly accessed over the phone in a few minutes. They might also send you that same part for free while paying for shipping as well.

13. potmetal

potmetal New Member

You can go to the Ruger website, click at the bottom of the page on "Customer Service" then click "Serial number history and instruction manuals". Under "Rifles" you can scroll down to the 96 model. The 620 prefix is for the 22lr and I think they made a 357. The 44mag has a different prefix. The rest of the number is a 5 digit serial number. You only gave us 4.
    Anyway, it does show that those rifles were only made from 1996-2009.

14. GuyTp

GuyTp New Member

Thanks for the replies. I missed putting the 0 in there. Tried that but down to where the numbers stopped and send $10 to see what's not there. In the mean time I did get a hold of them and soon get what I need . Thank you

15. chipmeister62

chipmeister62 New Member

I have a P85 and a P91dc. Both built like tanks, and not a problem for my largish hands. Some with smaller hands may not find them comfortable. The trigger takes a little getting used to, especially in DA. But I only spent around $250 on each, so I’m happy with the results.