Rossi .357 mag carbine

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by phideaux, Aug 16, 2017.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a couple Rossi guns , and I can't really find any fault with them.

Yesterday, while the wife was shoppin for woman stuff at Catos, I went to one of my favorite Pawn Shops, mind ya, just browsing,:rolleyes::)

Nothing much interesting, until I spotted this little ,walnut and blued, rifle standing in the corner , sorta hidden.

It looked like an H&R, and who knows what caliber it could be.

So I ask to look at it, and was impressed by the condition, before looking at the stamping for mfg and caliber.

Thing is a single shot Rossi, .357 magnum, like new.
    Bore is a little dirty, but sharp and good . Wood is perfect.
    Bluing is like new.

Never seen one.

He has a sticker price of $259.hmmmmm

He says I can have it for $199. I says hmmmmm I might would do $150, he shuffles around, frowns, cried a little, hmmmm he said ....for me OK.

I said I don't have the cash on me , he says I'll hold it, I say ...nah, I'll chew on it.

Found out they stopped mfg about 10 years ago, but what little info I found was very good.

Sooooooo...sould I not let this one slip away?

rossi.JPG

Jim

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Well it certainly is a unique rifle being single shot 357. I think for $150 I would go get it.

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I like it...

My Rossi...

[​IMG]

4. phideaux

I have not found anything , I don't like about the Rossi's I have,
    This may fit the family well.

Family Rossi
    rossi 44.jpg
    3572.jpg
    rossi 2.jpg

Jim

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I never go to pawn shops, maybe I should.

A single shot .357 to play with... For $150 I'd have to have it.

:usa:

6. SWinTucson

SWinTucson New Member

I love my Rossi Lever, I probably would not have passed that single shot up for $150. It would be a fun rifle.

7. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Do it! ...........

8. buster40c

Any bets if Jim is going to buy it?

9. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Yeah, he is going to do it. he probably already did.

I have a Rossi single shot rifle in .223 cal with a scope on it. It is a combo gun with a 30 ga barrel also and a zipper bags. it is about as good as any H&R Handi Rifle I have owned. Also had one some time back in .243. It worked perfectly fine too. Got the current .223 for 150 off a guy at a gunshow. I have had no problems with the Rossi guns I have owned. Recently had a stainless .357 mag. It's gone, but it worked just fine. Also had 3 of the Rossi .22 pump guns that are like the old Winchester mod 62s. No problems with them either.

10. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I'm the kind who always has to have "justification" to buy new iron, and I couldn't justify a single shot 357 no matter how hard I tried...but I doubt you need much justification, Jim. How bad do you want it? :D Lol put up the obligatory pics when you bring it home, buddy...

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Spike has nailed it on the head. Jim probably has already bought it and is just yanking our legs.

I have a buddy that has a .357 Rossi pistol, nickel plated, I looked at it, felt the action and it looked good to me. I asked him if he wanted to sell it and he said no but would keep me in mind if he did. I wouldn't mind trying one out myself.

. from Mag.

I went to some pawn shops out here and they are crazy on their pricing. I told one pawn broker that at least when Jesse James robbed you he had the decency to put a gun to your head. I won't go back to him no matter how many guns he has.

Tommy

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  12. phideaux

I wouldn't take that bet.:)

Pancho has known me way too long, but not yet, I'm a titewad too , and still working on him to include a gun case.:)

Spike, Spike, brother, if I had to justify every gun I own, .....well....let's just say I'd not need any safes .;):) It's like buying ice cream, I just love it.

Tommy,Tommy, believe me I'm only a novice , an apprentice, to you , when it comes to leg yanking.:D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And you guys are really missing out by not hitting the Pawn Shops,
    I have bought 80% of my guns at pawn shops, had some great finds.

Yall know, that they set their prices at double or , up to triple what they paid for a gun. I know , I was gonna work at one and the owner told me .

Knowing that , when you walk in, figger a decent profit for the guy, and make an offer accordingly.:dunno::)

Once the shop gets to know you , you don't even have to offer any more , he knows you and just shoots his bottom price. Usually it's a great price.:cool:

Just sayin.

Let me just say....if this was a REALLY special gun... that was high on my wish list....I would have already been showing pics, it's just one that caught my eye.

Now I got one more phone call today on this gun , and if he throws in a gun case, I'll show you pics......... if not............ I'll show you pics.:D

It also has a 3x9x40 Bushnell scope on it ( figger $40).:)

Jim

13. buster40c

I'm with Mag in that pawn shops I ever was in their guns were super high priced like it was LNIB but it looked more like it was found under the seat of the truck that has been sitting in the farmer's field for 20 years.

I guess the turn off for me on that Rossi is that it is only single shot.

14. phideaux

As of today....I passed ,

He has never added sales tax before...
    Today , for whatever reason he wanted to add sales tax,,,

Principle,
    because , when he qouoted me prices, it's always been ,understood, out the door.

We'll see , I may check back in a couple weeks, to see if he has changed his mind.

Jim

15. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Wear him down Jim...wear him down !!

16. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I ordered my Rock Island Tactical 9mm through a local Pawn Shop, he was so impressed by it , I went by yesterday and he had the new Rock Island 10mm, 22Tcm/9mm and a new model 45 that had the night sites on it.:D

17. buster40c

So which other RI did you put in lay away? LOL

18. phideaux

I hope nobody lost any money on a bet here,
    Late ...but ,
    Yes I did go back and get it.
    VERY nice shooter.
    rossi4.JPG rossi3.JPG

As I said ...I am a Rossi fan
    Just picked up the polished stainless Model 462 last week to go with its black brother model 461...yes they shoot very goos, but a bit of a handfull.
    rossi 3.jpg rossi 357 2.JPG

then there are the LA Rossi's that have had actions slicked up, and smooth as butter.

rossi 357.JPG
    [​IMG]

Jim

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  19. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I dig that .44 rifle, Jim. That's a sweet rig.

phideaux likes this.