Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a Rock Island Tactical in 9mm. Put different grips on it and cleaned it, it is brand new and hasn't had its 300 round break in. I will take care of that tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Congrats OH,
I here good things about them RIA pistolas,

Let us know how it runs.

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
All I hear is good reports on the RIA 1911 and a good price also. Around $450 at my LGS for some of them.
I like the grips you put on it. Makes the gun look real good.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I got the firearm, two extra Megar ten round magazines out the door for $550. $25.00 for the used grips. They were wanting $895 at the other stores for the Ruger 9mm. Rock Island Armory has lifetime warranty for original purchaser. But like all others say void if you use reloads. Almost forgot, not my first RIA, had one in 38 Super that was a dandy but got tired of chasing cases 20 feet behind and to the right. It is also a loud cartridge to shoot and I already wear hearing aids. But never had any problems in over a thousand rounds.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I've heard they are rugged and always go bang, but for and finish tends to not be quite as good as more expensive 1911s. Sounds like a good value.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Nice find!

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I watched a Hickok .45 video on the Rock Island and he really gave it praise. Not that he is that great of a gun expert but he did state that for the money, he didn't think you could go wrong. Break it in and give us a report. I think you got a good deal myself Handy.

Tommy

·
Registered
685 Posts
I recently traded most of my handguns for Rugers. My average Ruger cast me three of my other guns. But I am happy.

The only handguns I wish I didn't trade was my RIA FS1911 GI mode and the M200 revolver. The FS1911 was not near as pretty as the SR1911 nor did it have the embellishments. Kind of like driving a Chevrolet vs a Cadillac I guess. The RIA was a good shooter, I've not even fired the SR1911 yet. I paid just under $400 for my RIA .

I sold my guns to the LGS for store credit. I figure the SR1911 cost me my RIA 1911, my BT380, and a piece of my NEF R92.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well went to the range today and am very pleased; shot factory hardball, reloads, and hollow points. No problems with any factory or reload ball, no problem with Federal 147 grain Hydra shocks. Didn't want to feed hand loaded hollow points. At end of 200 rounds fed those too.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Well you and the gun made a hole mess out of that target. Looks good to me. Performs that well first time out of the box that is what you want from any new gun. The price is cheap by comparables but the quality of the gun isn't cheap.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like it a lot but as a full size it is heavier than the 45acp, same size barrel just smaller hole. Course that means little recoil. Just if I was going to wear all day would be in my favorite shoulder holster.:D

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Nice looking Ruger Tactical pistol.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Handy,

I have more accuracy problems with my SR1911 9mm than I do with my SR1911 .45 cal. The grip is much slimmer and the pistol is lighter even though I have the LW Commander in .45. I just have not shot my 9mm enough to get used to it and need to use it more as every gun has it's own idiosyncrasies. I'm sure that part of it is in my head also. Since my brother came and we fixed my Dillon press I am going to start loading up a bunch of 9mm and really start practicing with it more. This last Sunday my shooting was terrible until I went through 50 rounds and then my hands quit shaking and started to really dial in. Biggest problem I had was adjusting my grip to the lighter/slimmer pistol.

Tommy

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sure you will get it with practice, light weight allows more recoil though which is why I never liked the 9mm Hi Power. I always thought it was to flippy in the muzzle.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice looking Ruger Tactical pistol.
Sorry, it isn't a Ruger. Rock Island Armory Tactical which is why it is in the General Firearms section. The Ruger cost $300 more here in Tucson, Az.;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts