Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RIP you old warhorse.

Yep IMHO.. he had the most raw talent of any boxer I ever knew.

He could promote a fight better than anybody .

I didn't agree with him on his politics , and some other things he did,

But he was the greatest in boxing.
He was the only reason I ever got interested in boxing , and followed his entire career

Farewell ... you are missed.

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
He was a special person talented in many ways. No doubt one of the greatest boxers ever.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
R.I.P. Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr.

He was The Greatest...

Boxing record

Total fights...61

Wins...56

Wins by KO...37

Losses...5

Draws...0

Height: 6' 3" / Reach: 78"

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
RIP you old warhorse.

Yep IMHO.. he had the most raw talent of any boxer I ever knew.

He could promote a fight better than anybody .

I didn't agree with him on his politics , and some other things he did,

But he was the greatest in boxing.
He was the only reason I ever got interested in boxing , and followed his entire career

Farewell ... you are missed.

Jim
He was much 'bigger than life'.

Vietnam happened after my military obligation was complete. I couldn't figure out any good reason for us being there - but we were, so I trusted our leaders to do it right - the bastards.

Al refused to go. He didn't slip off to Canada, he stayed home - and said:

"My conscience won't let me go shoot my brother, or some darker people, or some poor hungry people in the mud for big powerful America. And shoot them for what? They never called me ******, they never lynched me, they didn't put no dogs on me, they didn't rob me of my nationality, rape and kill my mother and father... Shoot them for what? How do I got to go shoot them, poor little black people, little babies, children, and women? How can I shoot them poor people? Just take me to jail."

Muhammad Ali, 1967.

That, my friends, is a Conscientious Objection. It ain't politics.

[Those asterisks above are put in by the censoring software.]

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I came to really like him as a man over the years,
when he left boxing....so did I.

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Back then I somewhat thought he was just another draft dodger but many years later I came to understand his way of thinking. He lost four years of his career due to being found guilty till then having that verdict over turned.
I remember thinking I couldn't see myself here one day then be somewhere the next shooting at people and they shooting at me when we didn't even know each other. I drew 363 in the lotto so I didn't have to get in that mess. I truly believe war is more for monetary reasons than humanitarian reasons. Those that start the wars are usually not the ones dying in the midst of wars. They usually are the ones that gain the most though.
I find I side with Ali about going to war and killing people I don't know but have to because someone told them that I also was their enemy. President Kennedy knew all about that and we all know where that got him.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Back then I somewhat thought he was just another draft dodger but many years later I came to understand his way of thinking. He lost four years of his career due to being found guilty till then having that verdict over turned.
I remember thinking I couldn't see myself here one day then be somewhere the next shooting at people and they shooting at me when we didn't even know each other. I drew 363 in the lotto so I didn't have to get in that mess. I truly believe war is more for monetary reasons than humanitarian reasons. Those that start the wars are usually not the ones dying in the midst of wars. They usually are the ones that gain the most though.
I find I side with Ali about going to war and killing people I don't know but have to because someone told them that I also was their enemy. President Kennedy knew all about that and we all know where that got him.
For the 'lower monetary classes' there are no good wars. With the tremendous advantage of hindsight, there have been wars that I'm glad my country went to anyway. Vietnam ain't one of them, for reasons that are clear - now. Not so clear then, for me anyway. Hell, I even thought about reenlisting. My brothers didn't hang back in 1942... .

For the war veterans among us, their own memories are probably plenty enough. For the rest of us - the 'innocent' - there is the option to stay that way. Or you can read about the experience (thinly disguised as fiction) of Karl Marlantes in "Matterhorn". If you do, you will not emerge innocent.

I may have been perceived as less-than-civil in this thread. Not my intent, and I blame Ali anyway. And Marlantes; and my Namvet friends living and dead.

·
Old Timer
142 Posts
I just remember that when I got home, and got out, I found out that I had been lied to on a daily basis. Ali stood up for his beliefs, he was an honorable man. He was also the best boxer that I ever saw.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts