Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just purchased my first 10/22 and want to add a scope. Should I look for a rimfire scope, or can I just look for any scope with the features I would like? I'll probably range it for 25 yards and will not be shooting past 100 (rarely even close to that).

Thanks,
Todd

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I have a Simmons 3 - 9 X 32 scope on my 10/22 and it works well out to 100 yards.
Wood Metal Musical instrument Pipe Trigger

·
Patriot
2,184 Posts
Hi. I just purchased my first 10/22 and want to add a scope. Should I look for a rimfire scope, or can I just look for any scope with the features I would like? I'll probably range it for 25 yards and will not be shooting past 100 (rarely even close to that).

Thanks,
Todd
I would recommend a scope made for rimfire rifles. They are generally set to be parallax free at 50 yd or so. IMO the ideal distance to zero a 22LR scope.
My 10/22 wears a Vortex 2-7X35 Diamondback scope. When zeroed for 50 yd, mounted as low as possible and on 7X magnification it puts CCI 36 gr HP Mini-Mags right at the top tip of the lower heavy post of the crosshairs at 100 yd. Not that I'll ever need to shoot 100 yd when hunting but it's fun to 'lob them in' at 100 yd when punching paper.

Mag

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone! Mag, I've been looking at the Vortex 2-7x32 Crossfire II because I'm pretty sure it will fit on the Game Reaper Ruger 10/22 Low Mount. I'll look at the Diamondback also.

Todd

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 10/22's (3) wear Leupold 2x7x 28 Rimfire scopes. They work well. I also have some older Bushnell Scopes on different 22's. They are original 2.5x & 4 x scopes that have the B&L symbol on them. Many people do not know that orig Bushnell scopes with that symbol were made by Bausch & Lomb for Bushnell. Great scopes. I also use SIG Whiskey 3 scopes on several. They all have a Custom Bullet Drop turret that was free from SIG, matched to the .22lr load. You can get away with cheap scopes if your eyes are up to it and you are not planning on rough treatment etc. True rimfire scopes do have parallax set closer at 50 yds. How ever, many people today are using the .22LR for Long Range Precision shooting to several hundred yards. You will need an "elevated" rail and proper scope if you want to do that. For normal every day shooting ,plinking, hunting, any of the scopes people have mentioned will work IMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts