Right place at the right time ... for once in my life ...lol

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by rjtmac, Feb 1, 2014.

1. rjtmac

rjtmac Texan by Birth • Grace

Yesterday was Payday and my Birthday. We went out tonight for Birthday supper with another couple. Afterward we made a quick side trip to WalMart (this in a town near us where we ate) to purchase some yogurt for the wife. As we walked in I told her I was going to make the futile and "wasted" effort to go and check out the .22 ammo situation while she went and picked up her yogurt.

Great weekend. Found the ammo and walked out with 10 / 550 round boxes. Had them priced at $20.99.

Have been a while waiting - was wondering if I was ever gonna find "any" ammo much less ammo at less than $39.99 a 550 brick.

:spot: ... Small miracles happen. At the moment Life is Good. ... :spot:

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Congrats, you lucky dog.:)

I been stopping in my local WM, 2-3 times a week, for a year, checking for .22.

All I ever see is empty shelves, and told" gotta be here at the right time"

When is that?

Jim

3. bonefamily

bonefamily New Member

Great find, rjtmac!! I wish I could be so lucky.

I'm with you, Jim. I keep checking our local Wally's and the same results as you. They do seem to almost always have 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp on hand at all times - however, no .22lr. The clerks at our place says the best time to find it is when they unload the trucks and stock the shelves, which is around 7:00 am. They say they unload a good amount of .22lr from time to time but it sits on the shelves for about a half hour.

4. harrise

harrise New Member

C'mon! Pics or it didn't happen. :D

That would be about the best birthday present a shooter could get at the moment. Multiple boxes of .22 available for purchase? Pure fantasy, I say.

I'm down to my last two golden bullet bricks and resorted to buying my allowance of four boxes of thunderbolt 50 rounders a couple of times a week. Put a Midway backorder in the week of Thanksgiving for a bucket, but you know...

5. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

by any chance was it your 55th birthday?

6. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Right time, right place, right on!

7. hq357

hq357 New Member

And thats why nobody gets ever gets to have some :(

8. rjtmac

I could only wish ... Your short about 9 years. LOL

O.K. ... Here tis:

[​IMG]

9. rjtmac

I certainly understand that sentiment. I have waited and waited as have others.

I have seven .22 caliber guns we shoot on a regular basis. 5 grand kids, 2 daughters and husbands, me and the wife. Also have the drop in visitors that go out the range beside the house and pop off a few rounds.

Luckily all of the .22's seem to eat any kind of ammo and none have any real feed problems so I can grab anything that might come available.

We can run through ammo pretty fast.

I really did have the thought about keeping someone else without from having a chance at it but I also weighed the fact I might not see an opportunity like this again for a long while.

Between Midway and Natchez I have had over 15,000 rounds on backorder from sometime between Halloween and Thanksgiving. Don't reckon I am ever gonna see any of that. It was ordered at around 4¢ per round.

Good luck to everyone in this most righteous quest ....

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  10. harrise

harrise New Member

What an image!

I applaud your find there. At least you're not going to put up an ad on Armslist for $50/ea. Have fun with those, I know I would. Even thinking about trying for a part time job somewhere only so I can make some connections, all just for that round.

11. chenzo

chenzo New Member

This is how I feel too.

I'm sorry to sound like an a**hole, but this is exactly the reason no one else can find any .22LR. You're not the only one with multiple .22's and young ones you want to take shooting. I haven't been able to take my daughter shooting in almost 8 months because we can't find any .22, because every time there's any on the shelf, somebody walks in and buys all of it.

12. rjtmac

My LOCAL WallyWorlds are in Plainview 27 miles away and the other 3 are all in Lubbock about 65 miles away.

I stop in every chance I get but can't go on a very regular basis. Probably a good thing they are a little "unhandy" to visit or I might spend too way many hours checking for ammo.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  13. rjtmac

Like I stated above - I understand your feelings. Doesn't make you an a**hole for feeling frustration and anger. Same ones I have when I am on the short end of the stick. My disdain and anger is more pointed toward Washington D.C.

I probably bring out those feelings in a lot of people ... My ideal goal would be to have and maintain at least 5,000 rounds for every caliber gun I have and try and have a store of 25,000+ rounds of .22LR. That statement really sends some people over the edge.

I just wonder how many people would leave ammo on the counter or shelf without buying all they could if they had the means and the opportunity. With the supply situation being what it is it makes for a hard decision.

I have purchased some of the
    EXPEN$IVE EXPEN$IVE stuff just to get us through the lean times. It is ALWAYS available somewhere. If you want to shoot, you can, albeit not at the amount or regularity you would like, it just comes at a price you have to be willing to pay. I have not gone completely without yet but have gone to the range on several occasions and watched $$$$$ signs fly out of the barrel and have a headache afterwards from all the addition and multiplication when reloading mags and tubes.

When you are shooting those $50.00+ bricks the gun seems to moan every time it goes bang and makes your tummy queasy.

I am hoping that is where the 2 bolt action rifles are gonna help some, gonna make those the primaries when shooting the rifles. Slows you down a little.

Again - good luck and good shopping.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  14. Misty1946

Misty1946 New Member

Glad you got your ammo
    Wallyworld employees call their family and friends as soon as the truck comes that's why regular
    Customers have a hard time and only find empty shelves I have some friends working there they gave me the inside
    Scoop I used to work there and know that is exactly what they do

15. rjtmac

I have heard those stories too from some pretty reliable sources but of course anyone you talk to at WallyWorld absolutely and unequivocally denies it.

16. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I am surprised you were allowed to buy 10 boxes. My local Wally World has 3 box limit per visit.
    They have been having more ammo available lately but the 22 ammo goes quick. I have been seeing 9-40-45 sitting on their shelves lately. About $14.75 for 9mm box of 50.
    Find out what days they get their ammo shipments in and when they will be stocked on shelves. My local gets stock in tues, thurs, and sunday but they will not sell them till they get stocked next day. Call them at those evenings and ask if they got any 22 in on trucks. If they did then be there at opening time and you will have some 22 ammo.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  17. Mrdaputer

Mrdaputer Member

There is a mom and pop shop by me that when I go by it at least once a week so I stop and buy 3 boxes. I don't shoot them all but i still buy them. As long as he is not reselling them I have no problem with it. Sooner or later he will have boughten enough.

18. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I have no issues with people buying it to use. I have big issues with people buying it to resell at large markups.:hammer:

19. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Theres a new LGS opened about 1 mile down the road from our local Walmart.

Stopped in the other day to see.
    He had several of those Federal bricks , $50 each.:mad:

Found out later ,his wife works in sporting goods at walmart. Small town, every body allready talking about it. Thats $30 profit ,and the way they were gotten, is not fair to anybody.

I WILL NOT buy anything from him. Guess why.

Jim

20. rjtmac

Seems as though these in store limits are sometimes tied to the sales rep. you are dealing with. Normal is a 3 box limit.

Made a Gebos purchase of 13 boxes of 9 mil the other day when their limit had been one box for a long time. Was in the same store 2 weeks later and I overheard a customer being told they could have 3 boxes but each box had to be a different ammo.

I often wondered what a $20 or a couple of $20's would do if offered under the table ... Was told by a guy that he has done this on more than one occasion and walked away with as many as three cases.