Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just need to make some room in my walk in gun safe.

So I been trying to come up with ideas how to set up a rifle rack that would replace gun safes, and take up less space.

I have a wall thats 110" wide by 84" tall.

I got the paper and pencil out today and tried to lay out on paper what I have in my mind.

Here tis...

This is just my 1st draft, so if you can decipher it, and have any advice, or comments, I'd appreciate.

Any questions.

Jim

·
Registered
992 Posts
I think you should just build an addition that's a safe...32'x24', all steel construction so it won't burn, climate controlled, emergency lights, and a recliner with flat screen TV on the wall. That would be just right. Or is that a downgrade from what you've already got, Jim?

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well not exactly,
The walk in is climate controlled, solid concrete , so not much chance it will burn.
Has emergency lighting,

No recliner or TV ....yet.

May have room for a TV , if this new rack works out.:):cool:

Safes take up a lot of space and never hold as many guns as what they advertise them for.:rolleyes:

I'm already making some modifications to that drawing.:eek:

Thinking of making that center plate with two 2x4s instead of one piece.
Slot the back one and use one to the front for the butt rest of he top rifles, and slip the barrel of the rifles on bottom rack up thru the 2x4s,

Jim

·
Registered
685 Posts
My walk in is a concrete floored concrete filled cinder block room , steel door frame and door that is secured with 3 deadbolts and internal hinges. It's sheathed internally with a double layer of sheet rock all around, including the roof for fire protection. I still have safes inside the room as well though. It's still vunerable from the roof, which is the floor and joists of the main level.

I had it designed into our rebuild after the fire of '99, when my safe was dragged out of my house down into my bottom and opened! It's amazing what a theif(s) can do when they are determined and have time. We came back from vacation to a burned out house. The azz my daughter asked to watch over the house and feed the animals did the deed while we were away. Burnt the house the night before we were due back.

I like your idea, but like the arrangements at out LGS better. Wish I had a picture, but it's a horizontal rack. The barrels are placed into openings to the right, the wrists are placed on pesg to the left. There is a flat bar that fits over the pegs. The pegs are set into inlets in the bar. The top, bottom, and middle pe of pegs protrude and lock the bar tight.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Should you have more than 55 rifles Jim, I know a way for you to get rid of them. Will send you my address.

Tommy
Shucks, Jim, You don't need to bring them all the way to my place, I'll meet you part way - say, Brattleboro.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry guys, I'm gonna be doing 2 racks ,
One for each wall..
:D

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^ So does that mean you'll have plenty of free space for new bang-bangs? Or are you just clearing up the clutter?

Yep ..........

Jim:D

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Jim,
Yep ..........
from Jim
Spike asked you a question and you just said yep. Does yep mean you have more rifles or are you cleaning up a mess. Now if that were Nancy Pelosi or Chuck Schummer, then I would understand the meaning of "yep". Are you thinking of moving to Washington D.C. now and taking up a new position? I guess I am confused........but it don't take much to confuse my little pea sized mine. I guess I have a new answer if someone asks me a question.........I will just say :YEP!!!!

Tommy from the land of eternal sand, dust and confusion. YEP........that means Az!

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tommy,
Speaking of simple....

If you noticed ...Spike specifically asked 2 separate questions.

Me, being simple minded,

The answer to both questions was the same answer, so I figure one "Yep" was sufficient for both.:D

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts