Ruger Talk Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately it turns out that I have mostly accidentally acquired the following rifle/pistol combos of the same cartridge:
1.) RUGER 96/22 magnum lever action rifle & RUGER Single Six (.22 mag and .22 LR cylinders)
2.) FN PS90 5.7 x 28 carbine and RUGER 57 5.7 x 28 pistol
3.) Winchester 94 lever action carbine in .44 magnum and stainless steel Taurus TRACKER in .44 magnum

The most fun to shoot is the FN PS90 and the RUGER 57 but Mon Dieu! thei price of that ammo has doubled - when you can get it.

Next most fun is the RUGER 96/22 mag and Single Six with the .22 mag chamber. That Single Six in .22 mag sounds like a .38 Special. Love its great quality.The 96/2 mag lever gun has a Green River octagonal aftermarket barrel and shoots better than the original factory barrel.

How does .22 mag rimfire compare to 5.7 x 28 centerfire shooting the same Hornady 40 gr. A-Max bullet? Sorta like the difference between the .22 magnum and the .22 Long Rifle, both in power, recoil and noise.

Finally, compared to the other two combos, the Winchester 94 .44 mag and .44 mag. Taurus TRACKER pistol are just punishing to shoot. But boy will they stop a bear!
Eric B.

·
Registered
294 Posts
How does .22 mag rimfire compare to 5.7 x 28 centerfire ?
Check out the Military Arms channel he did a comparison and was surprised how well the .22 magnum performed.
Don't take this wrong OK, I've said this before, the 5.7 x 28 is a gimmick round and it got over hyped on the back of it's capability. Problem is we as civilians cannot buy that capability only the military can or the Secret Service.

So basically what you are left with is the reliability of having a center fired .22. (0.224 inches to be exact) Which is a huge benefit over rim fired but at almost twice the cost and barely any better ballistically than .22 magnum. And how many places can you just walk into and buy it off the shelves.

I've also said the first person or company to ever develop a .22LR that's center fired will rule the day. Provided we can get affordable pistols for it, don't develop it for rifles and give us an LCP2 type platforms to shoot it. ____ Now we got something.
Rim fired is just to risky for reliability at least consistent reliability.

So at least you have that with the 5.7 x 28 but you'll never get it in a micro or even a compact gun.
Gun powders have come a long way over the last several years. I envision a 50g hollow point bullet and for good reliability (like the 5.7 x 28) over a mini bottlenecked casting at 1000 ft. per second out of a barrel less than 3 inches long and a gun that doesn't even weigh a pound fully loaded.

And only one company has the cahonies to make it happen. (and the money)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Imho- a .22 magnum in a revolver is a waste. Less power than a .22 Lr in a carbine, or rifle. Only get a semi auto handgun for the .22 mag, where you have a completely enclosed breech.
I think AMT and Kel-Tec are the only ones out there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
D Weis I hope you're right about that new federal Defense Punch. Out of my stainless 10/22 banana clips it would be very good for my wife to use as a home defense gun!

·
Registered
294 Posts
banana clips
Interesting choice of words there, :) from the former Peace Corp volunteer, the McGovern campaigner and the desert dweller with the mentality and ideology of Los Angeles or San Francisco.
And not one or two but several firearms owed along with a pretty knife his wife once bought him for fathers day.
(of which we have never seen any evidence of any of it)

Something smells in la-la land.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh Quirky I love it when you talk dirty. So what - I need to post a photo of my shooting' irons and knives?
Don't temp me.
Remember, I'm not just a latte-sipping', Birkenstoch-wearin', Prius-drivin' Democrat. I've also done more athletic events than you have dreamt of on your best day. But just to please you Quirky Boy I'll post that shot of firearms.
Do you also want so see my XC, backcountry and alpine skis? My backpacking photos? My sea kayak? Shot of my ACA Moving Water Canoe instructor certificate? My medal from the1983 two day, 100 mile ski marathon?
I'll show you all that non-shooting stuff IF you first show me some evidence that you are not a couch potato.
DEAL?
P.S. I almost forgot, wanna see the uniform patch when I was an XC ski patroller for the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics?

·
Registered
84 Posts
D Weis I hope you're right about that new federal Defense Punch. Out of my stainless 10/22 banana clips it would be very good for my wife to use as a home defense gun!
In Paul Harrel's review, the punch isn't any faster than CCI stingers out of a 10/22. And the stingers bullet is 3 grains heavier.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just another gimmick and they cleverly label on the box for 'personal protection'. Throw the same 'ole bulsht out in the market place and see what sticks. They all do it especially with guns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.