Rifle Jamming

Discussion in 'Ruger 10/22' started by Dillohunter, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Dillohunter

Dillohunter New Member

I bought a box of Winchester .22 LR #12Shot, Star Crimp to use on my 1022 with the Tubular Magazine. Tried it out yesterday and it can only shot Single Shots. I can't fire Semi. Need to discharge and reload. Wrong ammo?

2. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Use CCI - it's much more "feeder" friendly- no crimp.

3. thumbuster

thumbuster New Member

I have had problems with that ammunition. The cases sometimes burst during ignition in my little boys cricket. I agree with the cci beingbeing better but can't comment on it being able to cycle the action.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  4. Dillohunter

Dillohunter New Member

I'll try CCI. BTW...I gave an erroneous description about my RUGER. 1022 with a Magazine. Not tubular. It's the one that holds 10 rds. Thanks for the reply.

5. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Welcome to the forum DilloHunter!
    Please take a minute to pop on over to the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself. :) We like to know who were talking too and welcoming to the family. :) Plus you deserve a proper welcome ;)

6. R2D2

R2D2 Member

I have not tried the 22LR flavor of the CCI shotshells in my 10/22 so no comment on that but I will tell you that in general, in semi-auto pistols, the shotshells do not generate enough gas pressure to properly cycle the actions. They work best in revolvers.

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

The CCI shotshells work great for small rodent control in my Single Six revolver.
    I also have never tried them in my 10/22 because I fear the plastic capsule might break and foul the action or magazine with shot pellets.
    If I were to try it I think I would load one to see if it ejects properly, then go from there.
    Am I over thinking it? Probably.
    :hammer:

8. MikeyBuck

MikeyBuck New Member

None of the shot shells will cycle in the 10/22. Not enough power to blow the action back.

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I wonder if a more substantial wad would improve the situation - assuming an adequate powder charge.

Um - what is the planned result when shooting a shot shell in a 10/22?

10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised at all that a shot shell 22lr wouldn't eject in a semi auto rifle. Does the gun eject and cycle correctly with standard 22lr lead round nose?

11. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

I shoot wood borer bees with mine.

12. Dillohunter

Dillohunter New Member

I shoot any varmint that moves. In my yard, of course. But mostly, Armadillos that dig holes and underground encampments. Wood borer bees? Sounds like fun. I'd use a pellet gun for more of a challenge.

13. SquintBeastwood

SquintBeastwood New Member

I use CCI copper plated ammo in my Ruger semiautos and never have a problem but that lead rn bulk ammo always jams for some reason.

14. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Speaking of borer bees I have an area where I can't hardly mow because the dang borer bees have nested in the ground there. They haven't stung me so I am guessing they don't have stingers but they do attack me. They are size of bumblebees. I thought since they can bore into wood I hope they don't bore into my body when they attack me.

thegatman likes this.