Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I go to open a xancof worms! The old debate about revolvers. What I really want to know is whether within the ruger line up a revolver is better than a handgun. Now as everyone knows the definitive factor of what firearm one gets is what they plan to do with it. Whichever one I choose will be a concealed carry gun . I am a stocky tall male with a medium sized overhang so I can theoretically carry like a sp101. I do not plan on encountering a despsperate foursome, being surrounded, and having to gun my way out as some gun nuts like to fantasize about so capacity p.s. not a huge concern. Just enough to take down two or three thugs even though most incidents are one on one . Also I am not wanting a gun that proves how "tough" I am . Just whichever one I more practical for my situation. Thoughts please!

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
What you are asking is such a personal choice only you can answer it. Many gun owners started getting a gun collection because they kept trying new guns to see which suited them better. My hand is up on that one. Personally I have accepted my LCR 357 as my CC. It all boils down to what you like best for your needs. You will probably shoot many guns before you even get a good idea what you really like best and then that is subject to change when you shoot another gun.
Some people swear by semi-autos and others choose the revolver. I am of the latter.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have multiple calibers of all. If you don't have a revolver you should get one. A really good value would be an SP101. Swap out the springs for lighter Wolff springs and lightly polish the internals. Get a .357 mag and put some .38 special in it. After the little bit of customizing you will find one of the sweetest shooting pistols ever.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Revolvers are quite good. I like shooting them better than autos but autos are thinner so I find they pocket carry better. It's all up to you but I don't think any felon would find you to be under gunned if you had to pull out an SP101 in sn unfriendly situation...

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I personally think revolvers are less-complicated and therefore better suited to CC. No FTF, no stove pipes, no safety to worry about, no magazine issues and if you have a bad primer, simply pull the trigger again. The only thing you sacrifice is capacity and a faster reload.

Get an sp101 or an LCR. Both great guns.

·
Registered
275 Posts
they both have their advantages and disadvantages. For me, a handgun is preferable. It is totally a personal choice, and what you can conceal effectively.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I do believe a revolver is a handgun. I think you mean difference between a revolver and a pistol which is considered the term for a semi-auto. It doesn't matter really to me but some gun Nazis might go to war over it. In the old days any handgun was often called a pistol.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
^^Yeah, he's right. A handgun is a gun with a barrel under 16" that is generally held in the hands.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
No big deal. We all knew what you meant.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Yeah my mistake meant semi auto .
^^^ Yeah, but everybody knew what you were talking about.

SavageGuy is right about revolvers. If a revolver fails it's because something broke.
(Very rare with a quality revolver).

Sometimes a semi-auto will jam for no apparent reason, just happens.

If you do go for a semi-auto, don't buy cheap.
Most of the time (?) the more you spend the better they run.... Most of the time!

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I too prefer revolvers - as long as I ain't rolling around in the mud with them. Revolver is really more complicated than semiauto though, as mechanism. I've had the side plate off my S&W Model 10; there are lots of small parts in there. There are several fairly precise things that happen in every trigger pull, in one sequence in a DA pull.

·
Banned
90 Posts
First, 'pistol' is a ubiquitous term that refers to BOTH semiautomatic handguns and revolvers. Second, 'handgun' is an ambiguous term that can, literally, mean any type of handgun. Third, in the vernacular, 'pistol' is generally regarded as a short form of the phrase, 'semiautomatic pistol'; but this may, or may not be correct. (Remember, 'pistol' can refer to either a semi-auto, or a revolver type handgun.)

The word, 'semiautomatic' is NOT hyphenated; but the word, 'semi-auto' is hyphenated. While we're on the subject I'll add this commonly seen mistake: Unless the article is of a mathematical or highly technical nature it is NOT necessary to use a decimal point before the caliber designation: e.g., '.45 ACP' is academically correct if someone is writing a commentary on bullet penetration, and/or ballistics; however, in the common vernacular, (like say a typical internet post) '45 ACP' is perfectly acceptable. Many people who post simple comments on the internet will use, '.357 Magnum' or, '.44 Magnum' when writing something casual like, '45 Auto' or, '38 Special' would be even more correct.

Now, a word about the current big internet gun forum quandary, 'Which Is Better - A Revolver, Or A Pistol?' (Well, we all had to come up with something to argue over and take the place of the presently defunct, '9mm vs 45 ACP' debate; didn't we!) :p Remember, we're NOT talking about what sort of pistol works great for stopping grizzly bears. We're talking about street gunfighting.

What type of pistol you like, and what type of pistol I like no longer matters. The straightforward fact of the matter is that for the purposes of street combat and self-defense,

NONE OF US ARE PRESENTLY LIVING IN A REVOLVER-TYPE WORLD!

Personal preferences and ego aside, what you think is going to happen might not happen at all; however, WHAT THE BAD GUY(S) WILL CAUSE TO HAPPEN is what you really have worry about. In today's world, 'the mutts' tend to run in packs and pairs; consequently, you have a much greater chance of facing a multiple of threats than you do a lone perpetrator. The reality is that no revolver is as useful for gunfighting as a semiautomatic pistol. Here's a definitive case study for ya:

The Infamous 08/05/70 Newhall, California Police Shootout!

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
The world today is kinda sorta get bit either way you go. Concealment is the thing now or go to jail. Then there is like Ravenu said about possibility of packs of wolves. Then you can go with a S&W 627 eight round revolver but it is an N frame so it is sort of big to conceal and it sure isn't lite. Then if you want a semiauto with the high capacity magazine then again you are often going with a full size semiautomatic which is also harder to conceal and the weight thing again.
Like an old retired LEO said........If you need more than 5 rounds then the chances are things are not in your favor and you very possibly will not come out alive anyway. This makes me think about how the real life shooting scenario isn't like in the movies. You know.......when the good guy is standing out in the open against a dozen bad guys and the good guy takes out the dozen bad guys but the dozen bad guys can't hit the good guy even once. If they do then it might be a flesh wound. I am afraid real life doesn't work that way.
All I can say is I am glad the chances of my having to use my gun to protect my life is about the same as me winning the mega lotto. But it is nice to know in case I have the winning/losing ticket put before me that I have a better chance of surviving with a gun than without a gun. If I would win the lotto I would darn sure want a gun with me when I turn in the winning ticket.
The reason I brought up the topic of the so called correct terminology of handguns is because some gun sites have some gun Nazis that will all but shoot a person over correct terminology. Oh my gosh don't call a magazine a clip when referring to a semiauto handgun. Thank goodness gun Nazis aren't common here on RT. Another reason RT is a fun gun forum.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Raven is correct that it is not a revolver world. However, I believe that DoJ statistics from 2012 stated that the average self defense encounter that involved shots actually being fired, averaged less than 3 rounds fired. To my mind more rounds available is better, but if you want to carry a wheel gun do it, practice with it, and be confident in it. I don't own one but if I did I would not feel disadvantaged by it. If an unfriendly situation occurs and I need more than the revolver can provide so be it, because I'm not a ninja or a SWAT operator and I'm not going to be one. ;)

·
Banned
90 Posts
....... Like an old retired LEO said ...... 'If you need more than 5 rounds then the chances are things are not in your favor and you very possibly will not come out alive anyway.'
Yup! The, 'old cop' DID say that, now; didn't he ....... . The only problem is that it is NOT true. I know, and have known plenty of people who've survive a gunfight because they had enough ammunition to see it through. In a CQB AMBUSH, yes, I'll agree 5 or 6 rounds should be enough; but not all pistol gunfights are close quarter ambushes. (Which, now, brings us back to my original premise.) ;)

All I can say is I am glad the chances of my having to use my gun to protect my life is about the same as me winning the mega lotto. But it is nice to know in case I have the winning/losing ticket put before me that I have a better chance of surviving with a gun than without a gun. If I would win the lotto I would darn sure want a gun with me when I turn in the winning ticket.
More likely to win the lottery than to be in a gunfight? Now, see, I could never honestly say that; and, for sure, I'd love to win big at Mega Lotto.

The reason I brought up the topic of the so called correct terminology of handguns is because some gun sites have some gun Nazis that will all but shoot a person over correct terminology.

Oh my gosh don't call a magazine a clip when referring to a semiauto handgun. Thank goodness gun Nazis aren't common here on RT. Another reason RT is a fun gun forum.
You know, as American educational standards and SAT scores continue to sink deeper and deeper into the crapper I hear the above Nazi remark more and more. Too often, nowadays, I find myself having to apologize to: (1) the government for being a gun owner, (2) the doctor for not getting my current, 'inoculation du jour', and (3) too many semiliterate firearms enthusiasts for having stayed awake through four years of high school math and English.

Yes, I've got a Master's Degree in English language, syntax, and grammar; but that doesn't give me free rein to either flaunt my credentials, or criticize the many quasi-literate buffoons who like to waste time on internet gun forums and fancy themselves to be cyberspace, 'cool dudes with guns'. Frankly I despise bad spelling, weak use of syntax and grammar, as well as inarticulate gun jocks who aren't capable of writing a coherent sentence, let alone an entire paragraph!

When I went to high school I had two choices: The first was to keep my grades up and continue to attend academic classes; the second was to fall below a, 'C' average, be denied access to academic subjects, and spend my time in vocational training with the dummies. So, at almost 75 years of age, 'Why' do I have to suddenly feel guilty about spending all those years keeping my grades up? Just because America is going all to hell, doesn't mean that I have to go along too.

For example: In addition to the usual IGF confusion over syntax like: who, or whom, there or their, who's or whose, and its or it's, I get treated to argument after argument about whether (weather?) it's (or its?) a, 'clip' or a, 'magazine'? I was taught how to use a rifle by some of the toughest, most dangerous, and straight-shooting United States Marines who've ever walked the face of this earth! These men had the: experience, track record, battle scars, kill-ratios, and psych-damage to prove it, too!

If those Marines could and would call magazines, 'clips'; and clips, 'magazines' then I can, and will, do it too. All of this damned fool nonsense got started by a few (curiously) pedantic cyberspace show-offs who didn't know either their firearms history, or what they were supposed to be talking about; AND, of course, they wanted to be, 'cool'.

According to the NRA/ILA these two terms have been used in both the American vernacular, and magazine advertising for, at least, the past 100 years - 100 years! Now with the (actually very recent) invention of Al Gore's internet, ;) all of a sudden it's become fashionable for every, 'gun bozo' in cyberspace to jump on anyone who dares to call a magazine a clip. The NRA/ILA says otherwise; American history says otherwise; but still the silly business of being, 'gun forum cool' by haranguing others about what's (or watts?) actually glaringly obvious technical firearms minutia continues.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
In response to a comment from a gun Nazi going bonkers about calling a magazine a clip I have been known to post a picture of a magazine in which people read and a picture of a paper clip.
I have to laugh and still say those that wrote/write the English language smoked pot because they obviously forgot they had used many words before.
If a letter is silent then why even put it in the spelling of the word ? Potpourri should be pronounced pot- poury. Where is the E and what the heck is that T doing there? Train depot? There is that T in place of the E again. Lets go to the train de-pot.
I say call it what you want because most gun owners can figure out what you are talking about anyway.
Sorry no habla gun talk.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I kept my grades up in high school, because it was easy and fed my ego. I had absolutely no shot at college, would have been better served with the vocational courses - such as they were. No 'shop' available, but Conversational French would have been more useful than Latin, And touch typing would be faster than 2-finger on this keyboard.

I know the difference between a magazine (or mag) and a clip, and call each what it is. I can usually figure out what the "clipper" is talking about though. With a 40s-50s M1 there's no confusion anyway; the clip feeds the magazine and the bolt occasionally bites the thumb.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts