Revolver trigger action.

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by buster40c, Aug 20, 2016.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

We all have our thoughts about revolver trigger actions. Some have trigger actions so bad that you think you need a tow truck to pull the trigger. Some single action revolvers have hair triggers and you better have the gun pointed at the target if you have your finger within the trigger guard. Hair triggers must be used with the highest safety awareness. What one person thinks about a certain gun trigger may not be the same as another person's thoughts about the same gun trigger. Some have large or strong hands while others are just the opposite which is why a person should test fire and handle any gun before buying one. Some guns are just not right even for a person with big hands. Buying a gun based on reviews sometimes is a bad idea because after we bought it and shot it we find it isn't so great a gun for us.
    I like a revolver trigger that is smooth and controllable that I can pull it and stop right at the point before the hammer will release. That is why I and others like the LCR so much. It has a really good trigger that is one of the best revolver triggers according to most shooter's experiences with it.
    I personally didn't like the SP101 trigger but yet others don't seem to mind them. IMO the double action is rather heavy and would be hard for me to stay on target pulling the trigger. It seems many owners of them put trigger kits in them and they claim it provides a great trigger. I have never shot one that had a trigger kit installed so I can only go by what they report.
    Many GP100 owners also install kits and fine tune the triggers claiming excellent actions then. The only GP100 I ever shot was the Match Champion which does have a good trigger action. The trigger has smooth relatively light action.
    The worst trigger action I ever experienced was a Taurus Judge 410/45. That was the tow truck trigger I mentioned. To me the Colt Python has the best trigger action as it is rather short, relatively light pull, and a butter smooth break for hammer drop.
    I have shot inexpensive yet quality revolvers that had triggers as good as expensive revolvers have. Don't assume a high dollar gun will always be better than an inexpensive one. Do yourself a favor, if possible shoot a gun like you are interested in before buying it.
    Perhaps you could give a review about revolvers you liked or disliked because of the triggers and why.

2. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

A long time ago a friend had a Charter Arms snub 38 Spl. Can't remember what model it was.
    The D/A trigger on that gun 'stacked' heavier and heavier till it broke. I couldn't hit the ground I was standing on with that thing!!

3. buster40c

The trigger really can have a big impact on performance on any gun.

4. accutron

accutron New Member

I like the trigger of my LCR 38 spl. Sure it does not compare to the SA.DA of my 1911's, but it is smooth. Sort of reminds me of my cap guns when I was a kid.

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

LOL! The trigger action on my cap gun! I am not going to remember that.

:cheesy:

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Since you brought it up,
    I hate DA trigger on any .22 revolver that I own or have ever shot.

They take such a strong hit of firing pin on the primer to ignite, that the hammer spring is very strong.

The LCR is the best DA trigger I know of.
    buts its not rimfire.;)

Jim

7. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

^^normally, I'd agree with you. But, the DA trigger on my H&R 999 has an awesome trigger, both DA and SA. It's very smooth and non-stacking, a little heavy but it's not a very long pull. I also love the actual trigger itself. It's not too thin but not too wide and it's serrated, which I like. It's also fairly flat. The SA trigger is also good, very short and light.

This gun has been shot so much that the trigger has improved over time.

On the other hand, I like my Blackhawk trigger, but I don't love it. It has some take up but it is short and smooth. I don't care for the actual shape though. Too smooth and curved. It's still a decent trigger though.

I absolutely hate the trigger on my Hi-Point carbine! But, I've never heard if anybody who liked it so oh well. It's a plastic trigger and has over travel and it's creepy. But it's a $300 gun. It serves it's purpose.

8. lovetoshoot

lovetoshoot New Member

My favorite triggers were my Ruger 1911 commander and the Ruger LC9S.

9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

After a few decades of shooting my .357 Blackhawk the trigger got Real Good.
    Breaks nice and clean, no creep at all.
    That and the 40 oz Wolf trigger return spring made it lovable.
    The trigger was pretty good right out of the box on that gun. But it definitely improved with use.

Same for my Single Six, but it took a 30 oz spring to make that lite little gun shine.

10. buster40c

VT are you telling me you don't have one of your old cap guns in your safe? I guess you sold it off to buy an airsoft handgun?
    I remember as a kid we used to take a whole roll of caps and lay them on concrete. Then we slammed them with a sledge hammer. Talk about loud bang. I guess we didn't like the trigger action on our cap guns. Had to keep on topic of the thread. LOL

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  11. accutron

accutron New Member

I did that also but only used a claw hammer not a sledge hammer!!! Mom got mad because it blackened the concrete.

12. Eatapeach

Eatapeach New Member

I bought my first revolver today a GP100 6"
    I shot one a few months ago and loved it. So smooth even with DA. I don't know if there were mods

My question is...Do the triggers need break in time? This one seems pretty tough until the break.
    I've heard of the Wolf Spring kit,does it smooth out the initial pull? What does the Match Champion have that smooths it out? Is there a significant difference.

Disclaimer-- I'm 'new' to shooting after decades away,and I wasn't about the details then. Lol
    I have been shooting Glocks recently,much lighter pull. I guess I'm just spoiled by that.

Thanks