Revolver for the wife.

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by MuleOne, Aug 21, 2017.

1. MuleOne

MuleOne New Member

I'm looking for a revolver for my wife to carry for self defense. Originally we were looking and 380 semi- automatic pistols but she has troubles racking them.
    She'll carry it in her purse so I'm thinking she would be better off carrying one without an external hammer. Would appreciate some recommendations.

Carl

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Have her check out the LCR 38spl. It's a light gun at 14 oz. with a really good trigger. Have her shoot several because she might not like the light guns because of the recoil kick. I have a S&W 640-1 that is a 357 but can shoot 38spl or +P and it is a gun she just might like also. It's around 21 oz. so it handles recoil fairly well.
    I was really impressed with the Sig P238 380 semi auto. If I was to ever go back to a 380 again it would be the P238.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

My wife tried them all,
    She has RA and this was the only one she could pull the trigger, and it's lightweight and no hammer.

Ruger LCR .38 special.

lcr.jpg

lcr2.jpg

Jim

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Is she an experienced shooter? If not she might appreciate a revolver with a bit more weight like a short barrel SP 101 or a Rossi. Not quite as easy to carry but easier to shoot.

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

+1 on the LCR........

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The hammerless, for in purse carry is a real plus.;)

Jm

7. sorcererf6b

sorcererf6b New Member

I have the LCR9. The LCR 9 and 357 are basically the same gun with a blackened stainless frame. The only thing I'm not in love with are the moon clips. But I knew that going in. I went with the 9 because I wanted a 9 mm revolver. The 357 is more expensive, but you can shoot 38 spl. I did rent the 38spl but didn't want to add another caliber to the collection. I did change out the grip for a larger one. Makes the 9 a little more fun to shoot.

8. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Another vote for the LCR. Wife's friend has one in 22 Magnum. I want the wife to try one in 327 Federal. She could shoot 32 longs if needs be, or 32 H&R magnum if the 327 is too much.

Right now she uses the H&R 733 in 32 S&W Long.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I'm going to buck the trend here, and suggest a Smith & Wesson Model 10 3" - if her purse is a 'decent' size it will come out clean. The DA pull should be even easier for her than the LCR's in 38, and the felt recoil is easier too.

10. MuleOne

MuleOne New Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. Next step is to take her to the range and have her try a couple of rentals.

Carl

11. buster40c

^^ That's the best plan you can take.
    Be sure and school her on how not to hold a revolver so she doesn't blow her fingers off. The cylinder gap can sure ruin your day if you don't know how not to hold a revolver.

I have rested a revolver in my hand against a fork in a tree and the cylinder gap blew bark off the tree.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  12. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

My brother gave me a Smith & Wesson Model 10 and I took it to the range and fired approximately 100 rounds through it @25'. I could hold the pattern within a 6" circle but was shooting high @2 o'clock. The grouping was fairly good however and I shot half single action and the other half double action. With the ramp sights I had somewhat of a hard time finding the "magic" spot on the sights. I would think, depending on the size of purse you may want to pursue the Ruger hammerless if the purse is small. One thing I would like to say is I haven't shot a revolver in quite some time so I am rusty as far as the hold and sighting. But as they say, most gun fights are within a 10 foot area and the Model 10 will certainly do the job. Basically my thinking is, I don't want to kill the BG, but I do want to eliminate\diminish the threat and quickly retreat. I think with the .38 special it is a shoot and run rather than acute accuracy. I may be wrong, but that is MHO!! By the way, with the rubber grips on the Model 10 the recoil is very manageable. So if she is recoil sensitive, it won't bother her quite as much. My barrel is only
    2 1/2" long.

Tommy

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  13. buster40c

Tommy how does the S&W 10 trigger compare to your GP100?

14. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

There is not too much difference between the Ruger and the Smith. Course it has been a while since I shot my Ruger and I think the trigger is a little lighter but it's a close call. I was a little disappointed in the Model 10 as far as accuracy goes but that could certainly be me as I have not shot revolvers in a long time. My Ruger is a GP 100 4" barrel and has adjustable sights. So that makes a lot of difference.

Tommyy

15. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

There is apt to be quite a spread in perceived trigger pulls among Model 10s; they've been around for awhile. The DA pull in my Model 10 feels a little lighter than that of my GP100MC; both are smooth. The Smith has a new standard strength Wolff mainspring, whatever that signifies. The GP ought to be more accurate at target shooting with 38 Special rounds, eh? The Smith isn't a target pistol.

16. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Tommy, you are not wrong but pretty much spot on. Nobody wants to kill the BG, just stop the threat. That's the way it should be anyway.

17. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Another vote for the LCR in .327 Fed. She can shoot .32 shorts all day with that beauty. And it's a breeze to carry in a purse.

18. buster40c

I can't imagine shooting 327 in an LCR because I had an SP101 327 that was really a hand punisher with the stock grips and the SP101 is a lot heavier than an LCR for sure. I know shooting 357 in my LCR is a handful also.
    Shooting .32 in the LCR would be the cats meow. The .32 isn't much more than shooting .22lr.

19. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

The beauty of the 327 is it's versitility. You can go 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Magnum, and 327 Federal Magnum. From kitty cat to mountain lion and everything in between.

20. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

My wife is 65 yrs old and can shoot this LCR .38 spl+p,without any problem,but can't pull the triggers of a S&W 442-2 or 638-3 Airweight .38 spl.+p.

Attached Files: