Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first rifle I ever bought was a Ruger 10/22 in 1968. Back then you could buy 500rd of CCI Mini-mags for $5.95 - which I did every weekend and took to the hills around Louisville KY. Unfortunately, the girl I married in 1970 didn't like guns of any type around so I sold all I owned and haven't owned one since. Now I'm retired and looking to get back into plinking to fill some free time. I've looked at the 10/22 again - both the carbine and the takedown model. I admit I'm drawn to the takedown model, if for no other reason than the sheer gimickry. Looking for suggestions or cautions regarding either.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yep plinking with 22lr is a fun way to spend some time. I have two 22lr revolvers, 3 semi autos and two 22lr rifles. I can shoot for a couple hours and still not cost much in ammo. Nope 22lr isn't as cheap as it was years back but it still doesn't cost and arm and a leg for a brick.
Maybe you can get your wife to try shooting. She just might like it.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Welcome, AO. I've owned a 'plain-jane' 10/22 for forty years or so. The stock sights kinda suck, but a rimfire scope doesn't cost much. My (usually unheeded) suggestion is to get a simple wooden stock 10/22, play with it awhile, and then modify it as your spirit takes you. You don't need a takedown unless you want to carry it in your violin case.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I love the 10/22 . Love it.
Its accurate , and fun, higher capacity, and eats a lot of ammo.

1022.jpg

But don't overlook a good bolt action .22 rifle either,

I'm partial to them, They tend to be very accurate and I seem to take my time shooting, and don't eat so much ammo, and have more fun with the ammo I do shoot.

100_5726-001.jpg

Just sayin....

Jim

Attachments

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Welcome from Texas :tiphat:
Don't think you can make a bad decision on any model 10/22.
The only caution....
You could end up spend as much money (or more) accessorizing it as what you paid for it. :D

:GadsdenFlag:

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Welcome to RugerTalk! Enjoy the forum!

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Welcome to the R/T !!

Enjoy our community...

If I was in the market for a 10/22...I would go with the take down model...mostly for back packing and camping.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Welcome to R.T.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts