ren wax protectant

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by buster40c, Sep 12, 2016.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have been hearing about ren wax for a gun metal and wood protectant as well as bringing the new luster look back to the gun.
    I found this youtube video about this wax. My local hardware never even heard of it.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OZagOg2Bek[/ame]
    I am going to get a small container since they say it takes very little.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I will be interested in what ya think about it.

I been using Johnson paste wax on my guns for years.

It works great,
    Only negative is .....you will see finger prints , from handling , in the wax .

Jim

3. buster40c

Supposedly you see no finger printing using ren wax. I just looked at another forum thread about ren wax and the blued guns had such a deep shine and the wood really came alive.

4. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Plain old automotive wax works just as well! The S&W forum people say the Ren wax is the best for their S&W's by far. Personally I don't think the Rennisance wax is worth the price!

5. buster40c

Well I figure if it is good enough for museums to use then I should give it a try. I ordered some today.

6. buster40c

I received the ren wax today and I used it on three blued guns and one stainless so far. This stuff is awesome, it makes the blue look like new and the stainless looks almost like chrome. I don't know if it is better or worse than Johnsons paste wax but it does an awesome job. It doesn't show finger prints either as long as you buff it all off.
    In the ads for the stuff the 200 ml jar looks fairly big but it looks more like the small bottle in reality. But the jar says 200ml.
    This stuff will last forever because you don't scoop up a glob of it, you barely run your finger on it so it is like you have a film of it on your finger. Then rub it on the gun. It dries really quick and then I use a microfiber cleaning cloth to buff it off. I have done four guns and can't even tell I used any from the jar.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ok, now I gotta get some and try it.

Jim

8. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Looks good Buster. How much does it cost? Might have to try some......

9. buster40c

Price varies. 60ml is around $17 and up and the 200ml $20 and up to $32. I paid $20 and free shipping for mine. Many sellers hit you up for shipping so they really aren't such a low price. This can will outlast me. I didn't even put a smidgeon of a dent in the surface of the product. You only get a film of the stuff on your finger and work it on the gun. A few of those finger films does the gun. You don't need go after another film of it till your finger isn't smearing any more on the gun.
    The pics actually don't do any justice to the actual deep blued luster. I suck at taking good gun pics without the light distorting the actual look. The little Rossi top left has never looked as good as it does now.
    Phideaux is getting some so see how he thinks it compares to Johnson's wax.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  10. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

So will you still oil your guns after you shoot them or just clean and the reapply?

11. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Interesting, I need to check it out.

A product I have starting using on guns I'm storing, and in reality one that is replacing good ole' Hoppes on my bench is EEZOX. A thin coat wiped on and it protects very well and resists fingerprints as well.

12. buster40c

I just ordered some DuraBlue coating{paint} and was going to refinish my Colt .32 Police Positive Special that I had used Van's cold bluing on a couple years ago but wasn't all that thrilled with the end result. Well the paint is supposed to come today so I was going to take the gun apart and prep it for painting but I decided to try the Renaissance wax on it for giggles. I am not even going to strip it now or DuraBlue it because the Ren wax just did an awesome job on making the gun blue look really nice.
    I have done 5 revolvers, a Marlin 336, Marlin Model 60, Remington 1100 and still barely used any of the Ren wax.
    I REALLY like this Ren wax. Top pic waxed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016