Removing Severe Pitting marks from Stainless Vaquero?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by arkansashunter, Oct 29, 2015.

1. arkansashunter

arkansashunter New Member

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I picked up a old model vaquero in 45 long colt. Apparently it was put up in a gun safe while either wet or the safe had a lot of moisture in it. As a result this pistol has severe pitting. Possibly the worst case of gun neglect I have seen...

While i didn't pay hardly anything for it and bought it mainly for a shooter it would be nice to bring back some of its original luster. My question is how do I need to go about undertaking such a project, and is it even possible given the state of the gun? It doesn't have to be the perfect mirror finish that it came with but would at least like to finish it down to where you do not see the pitting anymore and polish it from there.

I feel confident I could handle the project if it can be done, but if I get over my head or it takes more time than im willing to dedicate what would you guess a gun shop would charge?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey arkhunter,

Thanks for joining RugerTalk,
    Welcome to the forum.

I moved your FIRST post to Introductions, so all of us can give you a proper welcome.
    Maybe you can tell us a little about yourself.

I hope someone will give you some ideas on the Vaquero.

Thanks

Jim

3. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

Maybe bead-blast to a stain finish?

4. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Welcome to the forum!
    There are some amazing members here who should have some great recommendations for you!
    Welcome and enjoy!

5. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Going to agree, here. It looks like from your photos the surface of the whole gun is pitted- bead blasting in my opinion would give you the best possible outcome of an even finish for the whole gun.

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the R/T !!

Damn shame...

7. arkansashunter

Yeah it is a shame, serious neglect on someones part. But I can't complain to much because without it I wouldn't have been able to pick it up for nothing. Now I have a fun restoration project lol.

Took it to the gunshop yesterday and he said they would blast it and call me when its done and we could look at it and decide to leave it as is, blue it, coat it with something etc. Will post pics after I get it back

8. SHOOTER13

That's a great idea...good luck with the project...!!

I own a SS Bisley Vaquero ( original model 1993 until 2005 ) built on the New Model Blackhawk frame.

It's chambered in .357 Magnum, as I already had a Colt SAA in .45 Colt.

[​IMG]

9. arkansashunter

Man that is a sharp bisley! Ive been looking for one of those in a 357 for a long time.

10. SHOOTER13

Thanks...

Traded 2 old Rugers that I bought used for it... a Security Six (.357)@ $175 and a P89DC (9mm) @ $200... at a Mom & Pop Gun Shop.

It was NIB...tag on it said $499 OTD in 2005...the last year for that style frame....the New Vaquero with the smaller SAA frame came out that same year.

The Colt SAA was my DoD retirement gift from the wife.

I LOVE THAT WOMEN....!!!!

11. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Active Member

I have fixed worse, the fact that it is stainless makes it easier since you wont have to refinish it when you are done.

Start with a file and work the flat areas, be careful around the roll marks, sand paper is your only choice for the rounded areas. Just go slow and check your work often.

12. ChrisKles

ChrisKles New Member

What Tincanbandit said...by hand only and with no power tools. Go slowwww. Salvaged an abused and neglected Security Six this way. Go to hardware store and get variety of very fine sand paper and crocus cloth. Also look for dishwashing scuff pads...white works well for near final polishing. Finish with a stainless steel cleaner/polish and you will be amazed at the results. I foolishly did not take a before picture---but condition was similar to yours...but here is the after ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1453524292.713767.jpg

13. ChrisKles

ChrisKles New Member

Here is a much better picture. ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1453920985.393978.jpg