Removing Lead

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by colin1230, Jun 3, 2013.

1. colin1230

colin1230 New Member

Gentlemen,

I'm having a heck of a time getting all of the lead out of my SP101. I've tried Hoppe's #9, Remington Bore Cleaner, Shooters Choice Lead Remover and Ballistol letting each one soak overnight. Where I'm having trouble is in the forcing cone area of the barrel and cylinder. Stubborn spots remain. The handloads that caused the problem are my target loads for my S&W Model 14, 148g BBWC at 775 fps. Let me here your cleaning technics and suggestions.

Many Thanks,
    Colin

2. hombre243

hombre243 New Member

sweets 7.62

Try this

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/643582/sweets-762-bore-cleaning-solvent-200-ml-liquid

3. cobblepot

cobblepot New Member

I once leaded up an SP101 pretty badly. I tried the 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar solution and I have to say it worked really well. HOWEVER, DON'T EVER USE IT ON A BLUED GUN. Also it makes toxic and dangerous lead acetate.

After thinking about it, I now consider it the nuclear option that I would only use out of desperation.

4. colin1230

colin1230 New Member

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll give them a try.

5. colin1230

colin1230 New Member

Hey coblepot,

I tried the copper brillo pad, worked like a charm. Many Thanks!

Colin

6. cobblepot

cobblepot New Member

Great! Always works for me too. Cheap and easy.

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey cobblepot,

Thanks for posting that video on the scrubber pad bore cleaning,

great idea, as I shoot a lot of lead reloads and always spend TOO much time cleaning.Iw ill be trying that next time.

Jim

8. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

Thanks cobblepot, I'll be giving that a try next time I get heavy build up too.

9. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Lewis Lead Remover.

10. brushunter

brushunter New Member

+1

I shoot mostly lead from my revolvers and 1911s. And before I finally got loads worked up ...had lots of leading. Tried everything ...the copper pot scrubber does work , but just couldn't keep it wrapped together , etc...Finally out of desperation , went to Brownells and purchased the LEWIS LEAD REMOVER kit. It works. Its certainly not expensive , at least compared to the price of your firearm. If you shoot lead , you owe it to yourself to try it.:)

regards , brushunter