Removing blemished from blued slide?

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Jschmatt, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Jschmatt

Jschmatt Member

Any suggestions? I've tried barrel cleaner, but no go. This is for my 9E. Thank you! ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1486833935.208094.jpg

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

That'd not going to come off. Because that's just a spot where the blueing has rubbed off. If it really, really bothered you, you could reblue it. I'd just leave it.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Like SG said. It does bother me, so I keep bottles of acetone and Brownell's Oxpho Blue on hand. The fix takes 2-3 minutes.

The rub on the edge may be caused by your holster. If so it will return.

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

A black permanent marker sometimes covers small spots.

VT How well does the Oxpho Blue or the touch up pen work? Does acetone remove any of the other bluing? Would rubbing alcohol be safer or worse to use than acetone? You are just trying to remove any oil or residues correct?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  5. Jschmatt

Jschmatt Member

Good stuff, thank you! Yeah, it's not the end of the world. Just anal about my guns.;)

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The Oxpho Blue works fine; you only need to follow the directions - without trying shortcuts. It penetrates deeper than a permanent marker (which of course doesn't penetrate signicicantly). I've not used a 'touch-up' pen.

Acetone (aka fingernail polish remover) removes oils not bluing, and evaporates very quickly without residue. It is not flammable, and the fumes disperse rapidly, nor are they poisonous. If the rubbing alcohol is really rubbing alcohol, it contains a small amount of an oily substance, e.g. glycerine -which leaves a residue. I get the impression that nowadays some so-called rubbing alcohol is just isopropyl alcohol and water; that works pretty good for our purpose; for rubbing not so much.

7. Jschmatt

Jschmatt Member

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1487541085.981450.jpg
    Ruger' response.

8. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Member

I've received the same response from Ruger. The only reason I even knew about the touch up pens.