Remmy 700 .243 & Winchestter 670 30-06, Gunshow Rpt.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Pancho_Villa, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Went to visit a friend last weekend for some good overeating and drinking. Got to go to a gunshow in San Antonio for a few hours. Went looking for pistolas, but came back with some nice rifles. Saw alot of pistolas coming the the door. Lotta Sigs, Glucks, and Springers. All of the guys wanted their $ back out of them. So no deals on those.

Got this nice Remmy 700 off a guy that had just come in the door. He had an Argentine carbine of some sort and handed it to a dealer. I grabbed the Remmy. He wanted 450. Some complaint about putting a new scope on it for hunting season and never would hold a zero. While he haggled with the dealer, I checked the scope, problem obvious. He had put a 40 mm front objective on it with low scope rings. It was sitting hard on top of the barrel.
    Offered 250 for his problems gun. He said no less than 4, so I walked and told him I had the cash, to look for me. Just a couple of rows down, here he comes with a take it or leave it of 3 bills. SNAGGED IT.

It is a walnut and high polish blue ADL in .243 cal. Other than the fugly, camo finish scope that was on wrong and a few stock dings, it looked great. I had a scope ready for it at home, but got another rifle the same day with a nice scope to swap out. It was a 3X9X32, so the scope rings that were on it worked just fine. It zeroed up real quick with my favorite handload of an 87 gr. Hornady BTHP over a charge of IMR 4831 for close to factory velocity, CCI standard large rifle primer. No hot stuff handloads for me anymore.

The Remmy 700 ADL with the new/oldSimmons 3X9X32.

[​IMG]

The Winchester was snagged in a swap. Guy had been walking it around a while. He had wanted 4 bills when I first asked. He was pretty disgusted cause all he had been offered was 2. He needed enough to get a Nagant 91/30 and some ammo. That was his story. I checked the rifle out well cause he was down to 3 bills on it. I tried 250 and let him hold my recently aquired japanese Arisaka that I was trying to sell. He asked if it was a Nagant. Told him what it was, WWII Arisaka. He asked what it was worth. Told him dealers said between 3-4 bills, but they would were only offering 2-250. He said he liked the old gun and wanted to buy it, but had not sold his gun and did not have enough money. O.K. suuggested a swap. I could live with that. Even swap. Why someone would sell a nice sporter to buy a Nagant is beyond me. If he wanted an old milsurp for it, he could have the Arisaka. His gun had a good Simmons I put on the Remmy later. His rifle looked unfired, so I went for it, no cash either way. It is a plainer version of the Winch. Mod 70 with a walnut stained hardwood stock, satin finish, satin blue. Kinda an affordable package gun made only a few years back in the late 70s IIRC.

The Winchester 670 in .30-06 with a new/old Tasco 3X9X40 that worked well. Gun will probably bet swapped later anyway. Eye relief was not quite enough. It is hard to get the scope far enough back cause of the long size action. Just have to streeeeetch my short neck a bit. Zeroed just fine with Rem 150 gr. JSPs. Core Locks. Don't reload .30-06 cause I usually swap the guns off. Recoil was a bit stout cause of no recoil pad on the butt.

[​IMG]

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Both should be great shooters, or swaapers UP.

You will change those into bigger /more and prophet.;):)

Just another piece of Panchos legacy being developed.:cool:

Jim

3. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

The Remmy will stay for a long time. Probably get rid of a poly stocked 700 I got a few years ago. Had to get rid of 2 of these back in 05 due to forced retirement. Still had a BDL .270, but have been longing for a wood/blue ADL or BDL for a long time. The Winchester will probably go. Not much for the .30-06. Got the Remmy BDL and a Ruger M77 in .270, more my caliber preference. Just couldn't resist the swap.