Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see these things going for something like 400 bucks on Buds. Are they worth it? Or would it be a better idea to save a few more dollars and buy something better? Currently don't have a big bore L/A, want something for whitetail in the brush. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I would have to handle the specific Remlin I was thinking of purchasing, just because of the QC problems. Probably would even insist on feeding ammo through it. Sorry, not sure that's any help.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
RUN! Don't walk, run away from Remlin L/A rifles. That's my opinion of them.

Marlin (the real Marlin with the JM proof mark) made a BUNCH of 30-30 L/A's.
You should be able to find a good used one made by Marlin back when a Marlin was a Marlin.......

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I think I paid around $360 out the door at a pawn shop for my Marlin JM 336c in excellent condition. Like Mag and VT said a new Remlin could be a hit or miss on quality.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^ that's probably what I'll end up doing. How heavy is it? Do you think my 10 year old could shoot it? He's a smaller guy and can't support my other rifles but still wants to try deer hunting.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
^^^ that's probably what I'll end up doing. How heavy is it? Do you think my 10 year old could shoot it? He's a smaller guy and can't support my other rifles but still wants to try deer hunting.
Well, they aren't light; heavier than a Browning B-92 for instance. If you aren't 'anti-bolt', a Ruger American Compact is lighter, less complicated, less vulnerable to marring, and no more expensive. Won't do if your kid is already a lever-lover though.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Found this on gunbroker.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=548594526
Found this video on a new 336w.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHks-mCnLKo[/ame]
Another 336w review seemingly showing new Marlins have gotten better quality while still short cutting some to save money.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoE36_1fg8c[/ame]
Here is another review not looking good for new Marlin. I have read quite a few reports like this about the RemLins right out of the box poor quality.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi79kO51R4U[/ame]

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks buster, I saw that same gun broker ad the other day. Those vids were helpful- thanks for posting them.

I guess it's hit or miss on the individual rifles. Definitely wouldn't buy without examining the particular gun. Guess that leaves out Buds. I'll shop around and see what the quality is like.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would chose an older Marlin simply to avoid the crossbolt safety.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

It is really annoying that they put that on there......

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Is it reliable? is its application strictly voluntary? Are the 'on' and the 'off' easily accessible? If all answers are 'yes', I don't object to it.

It's probably quieter than moving the hammer from half-cock; at 30 yards, that can be a lost shot.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Is it reliable? is its application strictly voluntary? Are the 'on' and the 'off' easily accessible? If all answers are 'yes', I don't object to it.

It's probably quieter than moving the hammer from half-cock; at 30 yards, that can be a lost shot.
1) I don't hunt. So, a lost shot is a non-issue.
2) The safety is ugly, and sticks out like 12 feet (well, it feels like it).

I don't prefer it, regardless of its reasons for being there. That's all- my personal preference. But, it is worthy to note.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've had three or four Marlin 336's over the years. I keep telling myself I need a deer rifle, even though I have done most of my deer hunting in "shotgun only" areas. I'll buy a rifle, shoot it a few times, then think "Why do I have this?" and sell it. Then start over again a few years later. The last one I bought had the crossbolt safety. It was almost as much a non-issue to me as the "lock" on a Smith & Wesson revolver. When I didn't want to use it, I just didn't use it. Big deal.

When I buy a gun, I want to see THE gun I'm buying, I don't care who made it. Not a picture of a gun. That's one reason why I won't order online.

Would they work for a ten year old? How big is the ten year old? They're a full sized rifle, and fairly heavy, but my ex-wife used one with no trouble. She was about 5-3, but probably heavier and more solid than most ten year olds. Another reason to have the gun in hand first. You can try it on.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I've had three or four Marlin 336's over the years. I keep telling myself I need a deer rifle, even though I have done most of my deer hunting in "shotgun only" areas. I'll buy a rifle, shoot it a few times, then think "Why do I have this?" and sell it. Then start over again a few years later. The last one I bought had the crossbolt safety. It was almost as much a non-issue to me as the "lock" on a Smith & Wesson revolver. When I didn't want to use it, I just didn't use it. Big deal.

When I buy a gun, I want to see THE gun I'm buying, I don't care who made it. Not a picture of a gun. That's one reason why I won't order online.

Would they work for a ten year old? How big is the ten year old? They're a full sized rifle, and fairly heavy, but my ex-wife used one with no trouble. She was about 5-3, but probably heavier and more solid than most ten year olds. Another reason to have the gun in hand first. You can try it on.
Basically, I agree with everything you say. About online buying... The guns I have bought new online - all from real dealers - were not actually bought until the gun was inspected by me in the LGS, and I had filled out and signed the NICS form, and it had been called in and approved. Plenty of time and opportunity to examine the gun. A little awkward and time consuming, yeah.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Maybe I am old fashioned but when I used to buy rifles, and it has been years since I bought one, I was always interested in performance and aesthetics. I enjoy a great walnut stock with gloss, fine checkering and one that shoots well. I am also interested in the action, whether it be a bolted rifle or a lever action. Today when I look at rifles it's hard to find one that really trips my trigger. To me, IMO, they build rifles like new cars. You can't tell the difference in them unless you get up close and read the name. Years ago you could stand back 10 feet and pretty much guess what brand it was. Now they all seem generic. Like I said this is just my opinion only.

Tommy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts