Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this one off a dad & his 2 sons. They also had an AR and a Wiinch. shotgun. The older kid really took a liking to my Ruger American in 7-08. Got it a few shows back. It had a bipid and a 3X9X40 Simmons on it. He asked if it was a sniper rifle like those on TV. I told him it could be anything he wanted it to be if he waned to swap the Remmy 700 for it. His dad said to do it if he wanted, but no cash boot. Well, I really didn't like the American that much. Length of pull was wrong for me as well as the eye relief. The Remmy was a long action which gives me eye relief problems too, but this one had a longer scope on it and that allowed for better eye relief like I needed.

Let's see, a low bucks plastic stock rifle that don't fit me or a walnut and blue BDL Remmuy. NO BRAINER. SWAP IT. The Remmy had a few stock dings, but I could live with that. The scope was new, but they apparently did not know how to sight it in. The elevation knob was all the way up and the windage was all the way to the riht. Also the rear windage adjustment on the Leupold base was too far to one side. That would never work. Got all that down first and had it on paper at 25 yards. Working on the cosmeticsc now. The stock dings would not bother me much, but I have an offer for a trade already and a little stock dlean up would not hurt. Metal was great. Nice blue, no rust or pits.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Nice rig, Pancho. I used to have one just like it. Wish I still had it. If memory serves, 52.5 grains of IMR 4350 in a Federal case, over a Rem 9 1/2 standard primer, would put a 87 grain Hornady into .7 inches. That was strong coyote medicine...

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds about rtight, but I use iMR 4831 in my .243 and .270 loads. Also in the 7-08. I have not reloaded the .25-06 yet, mostly cause I haven't kept one for very long. The .243 does any varmint work I need around here without as much blast & powder. Distances are not over 3 hundred yards. I have had several .25-06s. This is my 3rd Remmy BDL, had one Ruger All Weather, and a Marlin made by Remington. They were all excellent shooters. However, I can load the .270 with bullets almost as light as the .25s, whitch is what I was doing when all I was shooting was the .270. The B.C. isn't quite as good cause ther bullet is so short, but I wasn't shooting that far either. Shot some 100 grainers outta the .270. It was a stubby bullet. When I got ghe .243s, I kept at least one around all the time. And now I am into the 7-08 mosr than the .270s. The old .270s only get shot on the range. Again, much less powder and blast with the 7-08 and bullet selection is about the same in weights and type.

Right now, I am still shooting factory loads in the .25-06 that I have ha for years. A guy gave me sveral boxes of ammow with the Reuger I had. Guess I should keep one .25, just to have one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts