remington 22lr thunderbolt ammo

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by javagate, Feb 21, 2016.

1. javagate

javagate New Member

Is this still bad ammo for rimfire? I read reviews that said to avoid it but that was back in 2013. Any ideas is it still giving people problems?

I have plans to use it in a SR22, and 22/45 lite for target only at this time.

Thanks for the input.

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Here my advice: if you can get .22 for a halfway decent price, buy it! I have a brick of the thunder bolt stuff, but I only have .22 revolvers, not semi autos. Does seem to be some of the cleaner stuff I've shot though.....

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I tend to use it only in my bolt action Marlin Model 80C...

It did cause me some problems back in the day when used in my semi-auto Marlin Glenfield Model 60...

Haven't tested it in my Browning Buckmark...which really likes CCI brand ammo.

Give in a shot...and let us know.

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I read that Thunderbolt was crapola but it has performed decent for me and I have used it in single shot and semi auto. Yes I have had a few duds but I have had duds with other makes of 22 ammo also. For the price and just plinking or punching paper I have no problem buying it again.

5. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

It has caused extreme bore leading in every gun I shot it in.

I refuse to use it in my guns.

Too soft.

Jim

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I tried Thunderbolt years ago in my Remiington 541S rifle which is a good and straight shooter. It did not like that ammo. Now I could shoot Winchester Wildcat and never have any problem hitting the bullseye but could never do it with Thunderbolt. Personally, I would stay away from it if you are shooting a rifle.

Tommy

7. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 New Member

Every few years I try some Thunderfarts just to see if things have improved with them. The most recent tryout was about two months ago with a fresh box I picked up at a local big box outlet. For years I have avoided Thunderfarts because of the uniformly bad experiences I have had with them, mainly not being able to achieve any accuracy with them regardless of whichever firearm I use. The last batch was completely consistent with all the prior years' tests so I'll just leave them on retailers' shelves so others can "enjoy" them.

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Thunderfarts........that's a good one.

9. Tigerbeetle

Tigerbeetle New Member

I see them only as a waste of money. I don't like to waste money....

Tigerbeetle :usa:

10. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I use to buy them a lot without any problems,haven't bought any in years though,1 of my .22s like Remington Gold Bullets and the other likes Winchester Super X.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016