Remember your 1st time?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by DoubleR, Jun 15, 2015.

1. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

As CCW is a hot topic anymore it got me thinking.
    After years of CC I finally had to notify law enforcement of my firearm. My husband was in a car accident a few months ago and the CHP officer that was showing up meant that I needed to notify him. Our CCW permits require any official contact we are required to notify the officer.
    I waited until he arrived with my wallet/permit out. I walked to his car Un-confrontationally so the others in the accident didn't hear I was carrying. Thanked him for coming to the scene so quickly. Shook his hand and handed it to him and calmly kept my hands higher and just pointed down to it telling him it's at my 3:00.
    He said "ok thanks. Now what do we have going on here." Lol! As simple as that! I was kind of shocked at how he took it.
    I've heard horror stories and honestly wasn't excited about finally having to tell an officer. My husband took his off and stored it away in my truck so he didn't have to deal with it if there was a problem at the accident scene. Smart of him in my opinion. I was there so no big deal.
    One thing we learned long ago, that has always stuck with us, is no matter what the situation and how long it actually takes (over an hour in this case) thanking the officer with a good attitude for how quickly he/she arrived makes for a MUCH better experience. They ALWAYS hear about how long it took. When you start off with a simple thank you it goes a LONG way most of the time. It truly does work and an officer (in this case) who had been dealing with a freak storm and hours of nasty people in lots of accidents got out of his car looking gruff and in an instant he was smiling and joking with us.
    Are you required by your permits laws to notify an officer and if so under what circumstances?
    What's your first and how did you handle it/feel?

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Hey kiddo,
    I have never had an accident here but my 2 step sons are in LE in a town about 8 miles away. My older son is back head of the SWAT team again, and he relates to me how to handle when an officer approaches. First of all, here in Az, stay in the vehicle and keep your hands on TOP of the steering wheel so he can see what you are doing. Secondly, attitude has a LOT to do with how a situation is handled. Remember when he is coming to your car, he doesn't know you, or if you are armed or what your intent is. He is just as concerned as you are. He will ask you if you have anything that may hurt him or yourself and ask you to get out of the vehicle. Tell him you are armed or have a weapon in your vehicle. He may ask you to take it out and put in on the hood just to be safe for the both of you. Kindness given will receive kindness in return. Out here we have open carry/conceal so they maintain or try to maintain a calm situation. I am surprised that he let you out of the vehicle. Usually most officers want you to stay there until you are asked to step out. But you are under different state laws then we are. Sounds to me that you did the right thing!!!
    Tommy

3. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I can't remember my 1st time. I ride a fast motorcycle and every once in while I get to meet a nice officer on the side of some back road out in the country.
    Seems my throttle hand "slips" a little now and then.

They ask for my license and I hand them my CHL BEFORE my drivers license. With only one exception the officer is always more at ease when he sees that I have been through a background check. Then I answer his questions about my gun if he even asks.
    If they do ask I tell them where it's at and most of the time that's end of discussion about the gun.

I make it a point to be a nice guy on the side of the road. The last time I was going 66 in a 55. He gave me a warning for speed but my state inspection was out. Ticket for that, told me get it inspected and I could get it dismissed.

I almost laughed when he handed me the ticket, shook my hand and said pleasure to meet you. Attitude is everything!

4. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Tommy,
    Hi! :waving:
    My husband was in a head on. He was at a stop sign stopped when a driver hit him.
    He called 911 then me. I was there LONG before the CHP was.
    We're in a VERY small town and that probably help.
    We were all out and about long before he got there so there wasn't any "stay in the vehicle" situation. But I would have, had I been pulled over etc done as you wrote. I've run threw the scenario thousands of times. Interior light on (if at night) and hands on the dash or at 12:00 on the wheel.
    Kindness gets you most anywhere ;) That's the truth.
    People look at me funny when I thank a passing officer for their service to our community. Lol! Most of the local Sheriffs know they are welcome in our shaded driveway anytime. We even have some that pass by late at night and see barn lights on and stop to see what's birthing. Lol!

5. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Throttle hand "slips" huh Magnum! Lol!

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Next time will be my first time. Thanks for the info & advise though. Maybe I'll remember it... eh, probably not.

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Yea...I remember my first time...!!

....oh, you mean ccw....sorry ! :eek:

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Aw c'mon. Nobody's coing to forget that.

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

One time I was called for jury duty which was almost 60 miles away from where I live. However the highway to get there is incredible as far as traffic is concerned. It took almost 2 hours to get there. The judge would call us up and ask us about our ideas and how we felt about certain crimes. I wore my motorcycle vest which has some patches on it (non obscene or abusive) and he asked me how much I ride. I said quite a bit. Now on the back of my vest is my patch. It depicts an old miner sitting with his hand against his head and an empty gold pan on his lap and the back of it says:" Poverty Gulch Arizona". He asked me if I had been to court before and I said "yes sir, many times". So he said that I am familiar on how a court system works. I said: Yes sir, I am very familiar". I used to have the same problem as Magnum does, my throttle used to slip quite a bit. He then said that I was excused from jury duty. It must be who you know as I wasn't given any reason for being excused. I politely thanked him and then proceeded home.
    Tommy

10. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Here in Indiana you don't have to mention it to Police unless they ask. We do have to tell Game Wardens though. I've only been pulled over once while carrying,for a seat belt violation,and I didn't mention it. I probably should have and most cops recommend you do even though it's not State law. I was in a wreck once while carrying too but again didn't mention it,I had my mind on my wife at the time,she hit the windshield.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  11. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have never been pulled over,

In Ky, you dont have to tell the police ,

If I ever get pulled over I will hand him my CCW and my license at the same time, and tell him Im packing , My wifes packing, and I have 2 others in the car.

whatever he wants at that point, Im agreeable.
    :)

Jim

12. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Thread got your attention didn't it???

13. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I often think about my T-bone accident. What will I do if I have my gun on me and have to go to the hospital. The CHP was beyond a jerk and was friends of the family of the kid that hit me. I WOULD NOT have felt good about asking him to take care of my weapon. Luckily my mother in law came over (I was t-boned in my driveway after I stopped) and while I was pinned in the car I gave her my weapon to put in our safe. Had I not been home that wouldn't have been possible.
    SquirrelHunter I hope your wife came out ok.

14. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

Here in cheeseland, we are not required to notify.....................I have dealt with LE on numerous occasions, mostly not in my vehicle. I immediately notify them that I am carrying. They usually says thanks, and keep your hands out of your pockets(I pocket carry). I usually say stay safe out there when they leave, and they seem to genuinely appreciate it. No problems. If I was a police officer, I would want to know if someone was carrying. So, I do what I would want them to do.

15. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks. It could have been worse but she had some gashes on her head,a concussion and a hurt neck that took quite a few trips to the Chiropractor to straighten up. All because she didn't have her seat belt on,which she got a ticket for :rolleyes:. They asked if I wanted to get looked at but I was fine and since I was carrying didn't want to turn my gun over to the cop like you didn't want to have to do. If I hadn't been carrying I probably would have went just to be sure but I felt fine anyway. 1 of our grand kids was with us too and she had a concussion also.

16. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Well I'm so glad no one was hurt worse!
    If not for my mother in law insisting I wouldn't have gone to emergency either but never go against my mother in law when she's serious I felt fine. Was pinned because the seat folded up around me like a taco. Turned out I was fine other than sore. Would have been worse had I not (always) been wearing my ball cap as my head broke out the drivers side window.
    I have heard to many horror stories of LONG periods of time trying to get guns back from LE. I'll try hard not to have that happen. To much headache and the possibility of never getting it back. It shouldn't be a big deal but it can be.

17. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Never being in that situation, I never thought about it,
    but why do have to turn over your weapon to LE if your in an accident?

I keep my pocket knife, keys, wallet, other paraphernalia I might have on me at the time.

Why cant you keep it with you ,unloaded, or let a family member hold it?

I would have a hard time turning over my CCW to anyone, being that most time its my Sig UC 1911, $1000 .

Jim

18. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Here in CA they require a hand over in an accident like that. They won't let it go with you to the hospital usually. Depends on the officer and the ambulance etc. usually no. A fender bender no. However I've read about several local cops who require the weapon to be unloaded and put in their trunk until all is said and done. Why? Power maybe? Fear? I'm not sure.