Rem high velocity 22lr

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by Vanousb, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Vanousb

Vanousb New Member

Thoughts on Remington 22lr high velocity for general shooting through a sr22?

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have never shot an SR22 so my knowledge is somewhat limited. I do have a Remington 541S, which I have had for years. It is a 5 shot, clip fed with a Weaver 4X scope on it. This is what happened to me. I used to shoot my 541S a lot. It was extremely accurate and the only round I shot a lot was the old Winchester Wildcats that we used to buy for $9.95 a brick (500 rds). One time I bought a box of Remington Hyper-velocity rounds to give them a try. I think the speed was around 1400fps. I couldn't hit the inside of a silo if I was standing inside. My guess would be to start out with standard velocity, develope some good patterns and then see how the faster .22's shoot. You might be surprised at how much of a difference you get in your groups. Just a suggestion.
    Tommy

3. CLF

CLF Hunter, CAS/SASS

Vanousb, I have been shooting 22s since the mid 60s. Yes I am an old fart and love it. My first handgun was a Ruger single six and since then I have owned most if not all or Rugers different 22s. One thing they all had in common is that each one had 22 ammo they liked and others that were not as accurate. They all (ammo) were accurate enough for squirrel hunting at ranges you encounter in the woods. None of the current offering of 22 long rifle are going tp hurt a SR22. I have shot mine with all of the different ammo on my shelf including Ely and Aguirla (sp?). The pistol (mine) liked the Ely match. Pricey but fun on paper. I carried it in the woods with Winchester 325 bulk ammo and had an accurate pistol on my hip. What all these words lead to is buy different brands and types of ammo, find the most accurate for your gun and then buy more of that type including the same mfg code.

Lead Foot:)

4. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Both of my SR22 pistols shoot Remington Goldens beautifully.

5. Vanousb

Vanousb New Member

Thank you guys for you reply. Grow up with ammo is ammo. But now days with all the different types of ammo for a same caliber and the idea that it takes a certain type to reload the chamber on semi automatics I get a little overwhelmed. Read somewhere that some ammo rounds can damage the barrel. Ran some Holden's though without a hitch as they cycled just fine. Now have some Winchester x and some CCI ammo in my stash. 22lr seems to be harder to come by than I thought. Found the 530 round box of golden at dicks sporting for 29.99. Could only buy one box at a time.

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Well, I'm glad somebody can find .22lr ammo at a fairly reasonable price. In my neck of the woods - no dice.
    Like others have stated,every gun likes a different brand/type of ammo. My single six likes one type and my 10/22 likes another.
    Have fun with that new gun.

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Same here...I scored three 525 round boxes of Remington Golden Bullets @ Dicks Sporting Goods in Willow Grove, PA...$29.99 each :D

Good stuff...no problem in your SR22 !!

8. Ruger22-250

Ruger22-250 New Member

My sr22 loves pretty much all ammo especially Blazers and thunderbolts but it absolutely hates Winchesters

9. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

it shoots fine through all my firearms. That being said, it is the biggest pain in the backside in the industry for cleanup. I quit buying it in favor of cleaner burning ammo about 1000 rounds ago, never looking back. My cleanups are now accomplished in less than half the time.

10. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Went to an ammo store today and they had .22 ammo cans for sale. 150 rounds for $189.00. There was a lady in there trying to negotiate and it wasn't happening. I couldn't say a word, only stand there and feel her grief. It's so sad that here in Az we can't find .22 ammo nor and powder for reloading pistol. Owner of store said he had the only .22 ammo around. Have you ever heard of gouging?????
    Tommy

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yes, and I'm gonna remember those shops!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Same thing is happening abound the Houston area.
    I got a long memory!

12. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

13. mark

mark Member

I picked up a Remington bucket, of 1400 rounds at Cabela's a couple of weeks ago, and another one last Tue. Last one was $90.00 with tax, which was a little more than the first one. They had just got in several cases of Remington Thunderbolts, which even now don't sell real fast. They still had some other brands left from the shipment from a week before. About a month ago they got a shipment of Federal Match Target bulk packs in. I got some of that. It came in on Tuesday and my wife and I bought the last 2 boxes on Sat. afternoon. I think we are over the hump.
    I shot about 53,000 shells last year and I haven't run out of ammo in the last 6 years of shooting like that. Most years some less than last year. Some semi-auto, but mostly revolver, double action.
    I went to Walmart about 200 times last year. Most times for nothing.

14. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

Have you tried Carter's Country stores around Houston? Always have something and prices are in line.

Between them and Gander Mtn., I not had any issues finding it.

15. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

150 rounds for $189.00???????:eek:

16. Photo35

Photo35 New Member

Tommycourt, Down in Sahuarita just south of Tucson it has been hit and miss on any 22's. I refuse to be gouged and shoot 9mm if I am low on 22's. Powder is just as bad, but I have been able to keep enough from a local pawn shop that sell reloading supplies and a t fair prices. Being retired and when I travel to Tucson I search out 22's and have been lucky getting good priced ammo from Gander mountain and Bass pro shop( On Line) when they run specials promo's. You need to be lucky and catch it early. I just keep trying and maybe some day it will be better. Good luck and shoot in the 10 zone.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  17. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Wal-Mart actually had 22 LR and 22 Mag's today.(But they went fast). Academy had both types a few days ago at a price that was only a little too high! Maybe the shortage is about to let up? Lets hope so.

18. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

You must be up in the middle of the night then for Gander. I am a pretty early riser on the west coast and in the year and a half I have been back in shooting sports, I have never been able to catch anything from Gander. We only have one bass pro here and is something of a drive and here in washington they dont post their prices or availability. sad times for old guys on a budget.

19. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I just bought two 325 count box{limit} of 22lr from online ammo dealer. Ammo was $34.98 + $18.40 for freight. That came out to little over ,08 a round which wasn't bad IMO. Gander had some small boxes of 22lr and prices weren't to bad but 3 box limits. An LGS I deal with had 525 bricks for $60 so I heard while talking to a guy in WM. That IMO is to high so I passed.

20. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 New Member

All of my rimfires reside in the same safe. About six years ago I must assume they held a "closed" meeting and unanimously decided that Remington .22LR ammo is not an acceptable staple in their diet (and two Rem 597 rifles then resided in that safe). After one embarrassing range session shortly afterward, I cracked the code and traded off the Thunderfarts and other rounds for a mixed bag of CCI, Winchester, and Federal. No Remmies have found their way into the ammo bunker since and the pistols and rifles seem happy for it. Fortunately I did my accumulating of CCI MiniMags before the crisis and lately have been able to add some more so there's no immediate crisis.