Reloading the .38 LCR for less recoil

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by trainman, Nov 19, 2014.

1. trainman

trainman Member

I have been shooting my LCR for over a year now, and frankly, it kicks pretty hard. I have been reloading wht 5 grains of Unique, and a 124 g lead bullet. Can anyone recommend something a little more comfortable. I like to shoot my guns, besides having them close for defense, but that thing kicks pretty hard. Probably because it is so little.
    THanks

2. lefty60

lefty60 New Member

Check you loading manual and use a reduced load of unique. I don't remember how light you can go with unique, but you can switch to bullseye (or similar powder) and the faster burn rate will allow low velocity loads.

ALWAYS USE A GOOD RELOADING MANUAL. You can also go to the powder companies website and get proper loading info.

:spot:

3. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

The 5 grains of Unique is pretty stout for a light 5 shot revolver. I would suggest the same as lefty60. I cast my own lead bullets @ 150 gr. solid hardcast full wadcutter and a light charge of shotgun powder like 700X etc. Bullseye works well too. I quit using the hollow base full wadcutters tthat are sold in the gun stores, mostly cause they cost too much to piink with. Also cause they can not be loaded hot enough safely. They can "blowoutthe end of the bullet and lodge the base in the barrel. So, I stick to my own solid ones. There are some sold in gunstores that are solid, but again too expensive to plink with. I can load the hardcast solids down or up in velocity with no ill effects. Very accurate in most of my guns.

I just got a new set of carbide dies on Tuesday. My old ones were very well used when I got them in 1977. They are so worn that hot loaded magnum cases do not resize well and sometimes won't fit the chamber of some of my revolvers. The old dies were .38 spl only ,but I used them to load .357s also. The new dies will do those 2 cals. and .357 max. if I ever get one. I am kinda working to lighten recoil a bit, but using the magnum cases. I don't shoot the LcR much, but I am going to experiment with some magnum handloads for the LCR and my old snub Service Six. The Sevice Six can take heavy loads like my Blackhawk, but the blast & recoil is still a bit stiff.

Actually broke down and bought some jacketed bullets, Hornady XTPs in 158 gr. to try out. Probably will load some hot stuff to shoot out of my old model BlackHawk too. I have had it a year and a half and only fired it 3 times ust to see if it worked. Think I only fired the LCR @ 10 times since I got it last summer, mostly cause I didn't want to shoot up all my magnum ammo. Still, the recoil is kinds stout with hot .38 spls. Really need to learn to control the little gun better.:D

Anyway, I gotta make some controllable magnum loads and some hot ones with this stuff. I ain't got nothing better to do right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  4. trainman

trainman Member

Thanks guys, You are both right. I don't know where I came up with that 5 grain load, but Pancho you are right, it kicks in that little LCR. In my Vaqueros it is fine. I checked Hornaday's manual and they say 4.5 grains of Unique is good, and that 5 is the maximum.
    So I will try the 4.5 and see how that works.
    Thanks again.

5. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Muy bueno. I will probably load some plinkers for the snub .38s and K frames as soon as I can cast, size and lube some lead bullets. I use like a 3.5 gr. charge of 700x withthe solid wadcutters or Semi-WC bullets. Velocity is @ 800 FPS more or less. Very easy shooting in the medium frame guns. Ya can still "feel" it in the LCR, a Taurus Ultra Lite and a S&W 60 Ihave, but it's manageable. I have tried Bulleeye and a few others. They are much the same, but you can get teh velocity down to @ 750 FPS with those using light loads.

6. Reloader54

Reloader54 Reloader54

I reload ammo myself. I reload .38spl, .357mag, .45acp, and .45lc. And when I reload my ammo I always reload at half of what the max load is called for. And I use to use Unique and I did the same when I used it as well. I'm now using Winchester 231 powder and I again reload at half of what the max is. I also use lead cast bullets. Now all of my guns are full size that I shoot. And some are Lever action rifles in the .357mag and .45lc. And I use the same powder loads in them as well as in my pistols. And they work just fine in them. I mostly do target and silhouette shooting. And my loads will knock metal rams down at 100m. And I've also hit metal plates as far out as 300m with my pistols as well using the middle loads with not problems. And the recoil is not bad.

7. Chup

Chup New Member

That's why I bought the LCR357. 38s shoot a bit easier.

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

The recoil factor had a lot to do with my getting the 357 LCR. I could not believe how feather light the 38+P LCR was when I felt it in hand.
    I usually target practice with 38sp but do occasionally shoot 357 since I do carry with 357. I carry my LCR every day since I bought it.

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I agree with Reloader54. When I am reloading .45 or 9mm I usually stay in the middle of what the reloading books call for min loads and max. loads. I will load a dozen or so of the "middle of the road" rounds and then fire them to see how they re-act. Almost all of my rounds reloaded are used for plinking or target so I want to get the most accuracy as possible with the least amount of cost. Recoil does not bother me so I don't see the need to load to close to the max if it is not necessary. As far as a SD round, I carry Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty. I don't want some dumb ass attorney stating I am loading hot rounds to take someone out. This may sound a bit trite however, ambulance chasing attorneys will say and do anything to discredit someone who had to use their weapon for self defense.
    Tommy