Reloading bullets for the mini 14

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by squirrelhunter, Jan 11, 2017.

1. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What are some of the .223 bullets you guys are getting good consistency with in your mini 14?? I've tried 55g & 60g VMax in mine with 3 or 4 different powders and haven't really gotten any good groups with them. I've thought of trying AMax but have heard they're really not suited for the velocities of the .223,don't know if that's true or not. I'm looking for something else maybe even from another company that would be good for coyotes without excessive damage to the fur,on the lower end of the cost spectrum of course ;). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Sorry Bro...no Mini 14 in my stable.

My AR... however...loves any 5.56 I feed her...and drops them dogs like a bad habit.

3. squirrelhunter

I don't have any 5.56 brass.

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Hornady 55 gr. Spire points are not too expensive and shoot very, very well from my AR...less than 2 inches at 200 yards.

5. squirrelhunter

I think I'm going to get 5.56 components and try those,see if that helps.

6. KMO

KMO Northern Arizona

7. squirrelhunter

8. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Just a thought - Sierra MatchKings might be another good one to try. Also, maybe your gun wants light bullets like a 40 grain V-Max?

9. squirrelhunter

Thanks. I've got 40-80g from all different manufacturers and bullet styles,probably 20 or more kinds all together,on my wish list at Midway. I'm willing to try anything because 2" groups at 40 yards isn't acceptable to me for a coyote gun. I just don't want to buy all those if I don't have to and am wanting ideas on where to start since the 55 & 60g aren't working well. I've already got 50g VMax I use in the Savage bolt action I'm going to try,and I've had others mention a 40g and also spitzer bullets so I'm planning on getting both of those and maybe a heavier one like a 75g or something and 5.56 brass too and go from there.

10. KMO

KMO Northern Arizona

Just a thought here...I have found that adjusting the powder load, even minimally, can have just as much effect on the accuracy of my loaded cartridges as experimenting with various bullets. I set up two 100-yard targets, side by side, and alternated between factory rounds and my reloads, each on these separate targets. I made no adjustments to my Mini-14's optics during this test, as I was seeking a valid comparison between cartridges. Initially, my loads were consistently 5 inches lower than the factory rounds. I repeated this process after making an adjustment of only .5 grains to my powder load, and remaining within the powder manufacturer's recommended load range. My results after the follow-up range test were two nearly identical target groups, one group using factory rounds, and the other my loads. Perhaps the OP has already made similar adjustments, but I wanted to establish the point here that even very minor adjustments to powder loads can have a significant effect on the POI at 100 yards.

11. squirrelhunter

Sorry,guess I might of used the wrong term,I meant consistency not accuracy.

12. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture New Member

Look at the various bullet manufacturers load data. It will tell you what twist rate they use for that bullet. Or, email tech support and tell them your twist rate, and barrel length and they will give you recommended bullets for your barrel.

13. squirrelhunter

I will, thanks.