·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been reloading?
I reloaded 1,000 rounds for 38 SPL
100 rounds for .357 Magnum
200 rounds for 9mm

I went to the range and let me tell you. It was jam packed with shooters. New and well seasoned shooters all enjoying a day at the range. I had a great time shooting my reloads. It was a time well waited for and I deserved my time with my GP-100. Love that gun!
Shot up the 9mm reloads. It was my first time reloading for the 9 and the ammo performed excellent.

New shooters are very well welcomed but seemed to have reservations with their firearms. They appeared confused, afraid of their firearms, and display a great deal of not knowing what to do. Beginning with their stance. I actually saw one guy loading his magazine backwards with rounds in the magazine loaded reversed. All the rounds were in backwards then he tried loading the magazine into the firearms backwards.
He developed an attitude when someone informed him of his mistake.
The second guy was leaning backwards when firing his gun. He got upset when I mentioned that he should lean a little forward into his target. He got up and went to a different lane.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I haven't been reloading cause I can't find primers or powder to do 12 gauge. I got wind of a stash of light target loads at a couple of box stores in my area and waiting on some supplies to come in to do a poor man's reload using the components but changing out the shot. I got a stash of 400 rounds going and looking to keep stock piling. I'm gonna test out 12 shells, 6 buffered and 6 without and see if my scheme even works.

Just picked up my plinker yesterday, it's a beast. I'm gonna hit my local BLM and blow off just 6 rounds of my ready made light target loads to just get a feel for it. One thing already I noticed it's a real pain in the a-- to field strip as I broke it down last night and cleaned it up and a lube.

As far as giving advice, one learns early in life don't offer any unless asked. :)
Most of these people have no real interest in firearms they bought on the jacked up hype of anarchy.
When I took my safety course and CCW one of the instructors there told me at least 90% there would qualify on the range go home stick their gun in the drawer and forget about it. And it was a big class.

But he knew the mindset of most there.
I myself got into the game much later in life as I never grew up around guns and have discovered I really enjoy going out and plinking as it relaxes me and gives me a sense that I did it, or I could handle it.
I have no grand illusions about stopping any threat, if it gives me a chance so be it.

I really just want to have some fun and feel good about it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I haven't reloaded much of anything for about a year now. I try to reload enough at the start of a new year for however much ammo I go through in a year for the calibers I reload for. That time is coming back around though. Good thing I bought a bunch of supplies back in 2019 though! Slim pickings out there right now.

The public ranges here in the Phoenix area have been packed a lot of the time since last June. Having all of those new shooters good for having more people utilizing their 2A rights. Now we will just have to pray that they get some education and training on how to use all of these newly purchased guns.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Has anyone been reloading?
I reloaded 1,000 rounds for 38 SPL
100 rounds for .357 Magnum
200 rounds for 9mm

I went to the range and let me tell you. It was jam packed with shooters. New and well seasoned shooters all enjoying a day at the range. I had a great time shooting my reloads. It was a time well waited for and I deserved my time with my GP-100. Love that gun!
Shot up the 9mm reloads. It was my first time reloading for the 9 and the ammo performed excellent.

New shooters are very well welcomed but seemed to have reservations with their firearms. They appeared confused, afraid of their firearms, and display a great deal of not knowing what to do. Beginning with their stance. I actually saw one guy loading his magazine backwards with rounds in the magazine loaded reversed. All the rounds were in backwards then he tried loading the magazine into the firearms backwards.
He developed an attitude when someone informed him of his mistake.
The second guy was leaning backwards when firing his gun. He got upset when I mentioned that he should lean a little forward into his target. He got up and went to a different lane.
I reload where are you getting primers ? I am out the store is out on backorder ??

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I reload where are you getting primers ? I am out the store is out on backorder ??
I picked up a box of 1,000 primers when I went to Sandy UT. with my son.
Plus I had a few hundred laying around asking to be charged.

You are right, There is a shortage of primers.
I believe it is the reason for ammo shortage.

It will pick up soon. That's when I'll restock on primers, powder and projectiles.
I've learned a very good lesson, "be prepared and don't get caught without them"

·
Registered
322 Posts
I picked up a box of 1,000 primers when I went to Sandy UT. with my son.
Plus I had a few hundred laying around asking to be charged.

You are right, There is a shortage of primers.
I believe it is the reason for ammo shortage.

It will pick up soon. That's when I'll restock on primers, powder and projectiles.
I've learned a very good lesson, "be prepared and don't get caught without them"
I cast lead 9mm 124 grain , .357 180 grain , .45 230 grain , 200 Grain , 180 grain ,300 blackout 200 grain & powder coat them no need for copper gas check . I have collected old used wheel weights in 5 gallon buckets melt them down remove steel clips and pour into ingot molds I have over 500 ingots in storage . and about 500 cast bullets of each caliber & weight on hand .

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cast lead 9mm 124 grain , .357 180 grain , .45 230 grain , 200 Grain , 180 grain ,300 blackout 200 grain & powder coat them no need for copper gas check . I have collected old used wheel weights in 5 gallon buckets melt them down remove steel clips and pour into ingot molds I have over 500 ingots in storage . and about 500 cast bullets of each caliber & weight on hand .
Sounds good with the lead cast. I've tried to stay away from the lead but lately I've been using the lead projectiles due to cost. Maybe I'll try casting them myself.
Scuba dive stores has large lead plates from a 1lb and up. That may be a good source to pick up lead. Of course wheel waits may be free but it would take a long time to collect what is needed for casting.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sounds good with the lead cast. I've tried to stay away from the lead but lately I've been using the lead projectiles due to cost. Maybe I'll try casting them myself.
Scuba dive stores has large lead plates from a 1lb and up. That may be a good source to pick up lead. Of course wheel waits may be free but it would take a long time to collect what is needed for casting.
I went to the tire store and they gave my four 5 gallon buckets full of lead weights for free . They look good when I powder coat them flat black they black steel.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't reloaded much of anything for about a year now. I try to reload enough at the start of a new year for however much ammo I go through in a year for the calibers I reload for. That time is coming back around though. Good thing I bought a bunch of supplies back in 2019 though! Slim pickings out there right now.

The public ranges here in the Phoenix area have been packed a lot of the time since last June. Having all of those new shooters good for having more people utilizing their 2A rights. Now we will just have to pray that they get some education and training on how to use all of these newly purchased guns.
Phoenix is a great place to live. I was born and raised just outside of Phoenix and left when I enlisted.
How is the ammo shortage there?
Is it just as bad as everywhere else?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Phoenix is a great place to live. I was born and raised just outside of Phoenix and left when I enlisted.
Ammo shortage here in SC & GA is bad :mad:. Primers are non existent ! :mad:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Wow, even better.
I like that.
Hey what is your favorite bullet weight for the .357 Magnum ? 180 for the rifle is my favorite round . for the pistol Defensive carry I prefer the Federal Hi Shock 125 grain semi jacketed Hollow Point this round is very effective. Granted the guy in the video don't know what he is talking about because bullets start to slow & fall not rise after they leave the barrel . But it shows the shock trauma delivered and the explosive bullet .

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I prefer the 158 grain JHP or the SJP.
I also like the 180 grain FMJ, I like that strength and recoil it produces.
For everyday plinking the lead 158 gr is very nice in 38 SPL with just .5 gr of HP-38. Very light and soft.

For defensive carry, I like the HSTs'. That 125 grain bullet is very effective. Mushrooms very nicely. Looks like a beautiful rose peddle.
Currently I have the American Gunner 125 gr JHP. Not so great in mushrooming.

I've taken an interest in the Barnes solid copper HP 140 gr.
For large animals, I think the Barnes solid coper will do just fine.
It also mushrooms very nicely. Pretty much perfection with its consistency.

Underwood extreme penetrators 140 gr. takes place for the 180 gr.
Good round for those extra large animals, such as bears.

There is a video of Sam the revolver guy, revolver aficionado that demonstrates the 140 gr.
He also demonstrates the comparison of the 10mm with the .357 magnum. Too many people say the .357 does not have the punch. In this video he shows the .357 is very well up there and should not be disrespected.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey what is your favorite bullet weight for the .357 Magnum ? 180 for the rifle is my favorite round . for the pistol Defensive carry I prefer the Federal Hi Shock 125 grain semi jacketed Hollow Point this round is very effective. Granted the guy in the video don't know what he is talking about because bullets start to slow & fall not rise after they leave the barrel . But it shows the shock trauma delivered and the explosive bullet .

I currently work inside of a prison and sometimes like to jump on to read what others are sharing when I have the time.
Unfortunately the latest photos have been blocked.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I enjoy Phoenix quite a bit. I showed up here after my enlistment ended. Ammo is hit or miss, but you can still find some stuff. If I'm fast enough I go by the local Cabelas and Bass Pro when they are getting deliveries to snag a few boxes of ammo.
Primers are non existent !
That is the case here as well!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I enjoy Phoenix quite a bit. I showed up here after my enlistment ended. Ammo is hit or miss, but you can still find some stuff. If I'm fast enough I go by the local Cabelas and Bass Pro when they are getting deliveries to snag a few boxes of ammo.

That is the case here as well!
Hey Buddy no primers no ammo is scary is there something evil behind this ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Scary is it not I am glad I had some ammo put away as part of a if SHTF prep I am not touching it untill I can buy the same amount put it back in storage and take whats put back now will be used up.
Yes, it is a bit uncomforting with so much going on and the shortage of ammo.
I feel as though I was caught naked. "LOL"!

The good thing is I still have a little over 500 rounds of 38 SPL +P SJHP defensive ammo by Remington.
Only 100 rounds of .357 Magnum by Perfecta.
20 rounds by American Gunner.

My 9mm is only what I've been able to reload and what is left in my carry magazine, which is 147 gr. HST's.

And only 20 rounds for my .30-30 by Winchester.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Buddy no primers no ammo is scary is there something evil behind this ?
I don't think there is anything evil behind this. I work with distributors and occasionally manufacturers. People are just buying so much stuff! Some manufactures estimate that if everyone just didn't buy any ammo for one month, they would be able to catch back up enough that the shortage would not be like it is.

I agree with you and the "emergency stash of ammo". What annoys me is that I use to shoot at least 3 competitions a month. It's hard to do that when you don't have the ammo to spare.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts