Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the largest refineries in the country is shut down, its in Whiting, Indiana, just outside Chicago.

News says it may be down 3 weeks or more,
Oil prices are dropping, and at lowest in long time,

So tell me why gas in my town went form $2.29/gal to $2.69/gal this week.

I know... "we cant make any gas temporarily, so , what we have on hand is gonna cost ya an arm and a leg plus your first born.":mad::rolleyes:

GOUGING comes to mind.

Suppose to only affect midwest states ,but MAY :D spread to other states.

Whats it doing in your area ?

Jim

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well here in south west ohio, it went from 2.29 to 2.99 in about a week.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
On a smaller scale this phenomenon is known as 'sharp business practice'. Big Oil probably has an euphemism - check with our Texan members.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Oil prices here have not dropped a dime and they keep going up. Usually Az is pretty well stocked and our prices are lower than other states, however not now. We are paying $2.79 - $2.95 if you buy at majors like Shell or Chevron.
Tommy

·
Registered
232 Posts
Current prices here in Sequim Wa
reg. mid premium Diesel
QFC $2.849 $2.979 $3.079 $2.899
Chevron $3.199 $3.359 $3.459 $3.099
76 $3.459 $3.559 $3.659 $3.199
Safeway $2.899 #2.999 $3.199 $2.899
Costco $2.749 ------- $3.019 no Diesel

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I just filled up my car at Chevron $2.24. That is down from what it has been for the last couple months. Last time I got fuel for my tractor I filled 4 five gal containers because I figure get it cheaper while I can.
The last time I filled up was June 23rd. I still had over 1/4 tank but filled because of the price being down. I could have made it easy to Aug. 23rd before filling up. Two months on a tank of gas! Shows how little I drive.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Last year I put less than 400 miles on my diesel pu (my only motor vehicle) and 1300+ miles on my big battery powered mobility scooter. That is 7237 miles since nov 8 2008. Maybe as much as 100 miles on my little mobility scooter.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I just paid $2.19 for regular. I was surprised to see it that low. Was really nice because I was on empty.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Diesel is pennies away from unleaded regular here - around $2.37. Thats the first time in ten years. It has been close to $4 a gallon and a dollar more than unleaded.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
we seen 2.89 few days ago, its slipped back to 2.65 as of sat night. What iam puzzled on is the refinery that went down is owned by BP. so why are all the other companies so high priced? do I read monopoly in here somewhere??? Its so funny to see every brand of station raise the price at basicly the same time, with a flick of the switch. I down get it anymore.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
You may not get it but they get you. That's not even funny.

·
Banned
73 Posts
The refineries sell what they don't need for their own distribution network to wholesalers who then sell to places like Costco and 7-11and Wawa and every other no name place that has a pump. If one refinery goes down then the demand placed on the remaining ones goes up, which causes prices to rise. They raise the price at the pump in anticipation of the future price being higher when they go to order fuel to refill their tanks. If you know anyone who owns a gas station or convenience store with pumps, ask them what their margin is on the fuel they sell- it's pretty thin.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Well I hate to say this, however today when I was going to the range I looked at the QT station and they had diesel fuel .40 cents CHEAPER than their regular gas. Now go figure!!! It's a rip no matter what way you look at it.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Well I hate to say this, however today when I was going to the range I looked at the QT station and they had diesel fuel .40 cents CHEAPER than their regular gas. Now go figure!!! It's a rip no matter what way you look at it.

Tommy
Tommy I remember when diesel fuel was so cheap back in the late 60's my dad would use it to mix with brush killer and spray fence rows with it. Kerosene was the same way he would always have 5gal cans around the sheds or barn just to clean up parts or anything really. And always dumped alot on brush piles ( along with old tires) to burn up the brush from cutting tree for firewood. Interesting to look back sometimes . When I started driving I remember gas being. .48.9 . When it got up to a dollar a gal in the 70's people bout crapped out. And the big oil imbargo and my Chevy truck getting 9 mpg. Oh yeah I could go on haha sorry to sort of change the subject.

·
Banned
558 Posts

Tommy
When I bought my 2004 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo diesel prices were way lower than gasoline. The demand and popularity have made it go up in price.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its bouncing around between $2.40 and $2.55 /gal every day here.

What with labor day coming up.... I expect it to rise.

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts