Reduce DA trigger pull GP 100 .357 Magnum

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by titaniumhipster, Mar 10, 2016.

1. titaniumhipster

titaniumhipster New Member

The trigger pull on my week-old revolver is a bit much for my 74 yo hands to bear. Is there a Ruger customer service package that can make this modification for me?
    Paul
    Durham, NC

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

You didn't know about the GP100MC?

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

There is a trigger kit available that I am sure someone here has installed it and can tell you about it. I watched a you tube video on it and it only took the smith a short amount of time to do it.
    I believe you can get a gunsmith to do the trigger work for around $75.
    It is appreciated for new members to introduce themselves in the introduction sub forum. It usually get new members off to a quicker involvement.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

Carl Crosby likes this.
  5. glockman99

glockman99 New Member

6. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Stalkingbear, is there such a thing as a retired gunsmith? Ha

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

Not really Gumpy! It's about the same as being a ex marine! I'll likely be doing minor gunsmithing on my deathbed! We never die, we simply fade from everybody's lists! Seriously though it's nice when former customers looks you up!

8. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey stalkingbear ....what part of Ky you in?

Jim

I'm in Lyon County.

9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

I'm not sure where Lyon county is, but I'm in eastern Nelson county, just east of Bardstown. If you don't know where that is, just think roughly 30-35 miles south by southeast of Louisville. If it's not too far for ya CMON over some time & visit, tell a few lies, go to the range, come back & knock out a few beers, throw part of a dead critter on the grill & swap some old war stories! I'd offer to travel but my truck's gas gauge is connected to the gas pedal! It'll go anywhere, pass most, worth it's weight in gold when 2' of snow is on ground, but HATES to pass gas stations! I'm EXTREMELY easy to find!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  10. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the invite, I'm on North tip of Lake Barkley, in Kuttawa.

that's about 3 hrs.

Holler at me if over this way.

Jim

11. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Wolff spring kits are around $12. It might take you awhile to get the pistol apart the first time because the tolerances are so tight. Go with the lightest springs. If you can;t get the pistol back together you might need a gun smith because it will take some effort.

12. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

You can TRY it with the lightest springs, but I'd recommend the middle weight main spring for positive ignition if the revolver is going to be used for defense. It HAS to be reliable in a defense handgun! If using the lightest spring, when you're testing it, be sure to test it in double action as the hammer don't go back quite as far in double action and it falls with a bit less force. It might perform perfect with say 38 special in single action, but with a hard magnum primer in double action it might give you light hammer strikes. I've installed a LOT of them and the lightest spring MAY give light firing pin strikes as much as 1/3 or 1/4 of the time in double action. If it's just intended for plinking/target/range use, the lightest main spring will be fine.

13. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Recommend that you buy the Wolf Spring Kit and either install it yourself or (as I did) have your gunsmith do it. The difference is remarkable. My GP100 trigger is amazing now.

[​IMG]

14. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Don't you just luv RT forum?

15. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

It's extremely easy to install yourself. I could walk anybody through it in 10 minutes but polishing internals would take longer and honestly more experience is needed to polish internals without screwing something up such as contact surfaces like hammer/trigger engagement.

16. AndyRexia

AndyRexia Member

I'm diggin the Chigs Grips.

17. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Thanks! Yes I am a bit of a Chig's grips nut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

That last photo... that is very nice.

19. titaniumhipster

titaniumhipster New Member

A big THANK YOU from an Old fart with a new .357 Magnum GP100

:D Some great ideas from Those in the Know! Some terrific photos too. This Newbie loves Ruger Talk.

20. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

The Wolffe turns the pistol into a velvet pillow. Comparable to shooting a Glock 19 in comfort. As stated above, the tolerances are very tight on a new gun, so be aware you will need some hand strength the first time.