Redhawk Trade Value?

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by ThePlateau, Mar 30, 2013.

1. ThePlateau

ThePlateau New Member

Hello all.

This may seem a bit out of the ordinary but I am trying to get an idea of the trade value of a Ruger Redhawk Hunter model with a 1989 production date.

I guess a little back story would help so here goes. A friend of mine who I used to do a lot of work for many years ago, and who was always very generous to me, Called me up the other day and while talking he mentioned a need for a CCW. He asked if I had anything to trade. Now I am the type that rarely trades and almost never sells a gun once in my possession, but this man has done a lot for me over the years, so long story short I ended up trading him my mint S&W 10-7 snubby and lots of accessories for the Redhawk.

My issue is that I am not a bear hunter so the Redhawk is way more gun than I will ever need. I am more of a sub-compact to standard duty size kinda man. Something that is functional on a daily basis.

I don't have much experience with Rugers but I love the looks of their revolver line and the new LC9 and such are way cool too.

My Issue is that when I went to my local gun store to see what kind of value they would put on the Redhawk toward trade on a more practical gun, the owner stated that the last Redhawk he had he could only get $350 out of it. That was shocking to me. If he can only get $350 he sure isn't going to offer me much so I walked.

My question is what do you guys think the average trade value of a Redhawk in good condition is?

Is it practical to want to trade it even for say a Glock 17/26 or a LC9, or even carbine like a Marlin camp 9, or does this gun have low resale value like a Jaguar that just drove off the showroom floor?

Again I don't hate the Redhawk, it's just not suited for my lifestyle so please don't think I am bad mouthing it in any way. I think it is a very well built and good looking gun, I just don't find myself in need of defending myself from rogue elk on a regular basis.

Any information or educational commentary is welcomed and appreciated even if it isn't directly related to my question, I am always open to getting a free education.

Thanks in advance.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the Ruger Talk Forum !!

I have the 2011 Gun Digest Book of Gun Prices and would be happy to help but

you didn't include any of the necessary info to make a judgement call on value.

Caliber, barrel length, grips, sights...and is it drilled and tapped for a scope or not.

and you say it is "good" condition...well, that is in the eye of the beholder. Can you provide a pic or two ?

The NRA value system starts with New in Box / Excellent / Very Good / Good / Fair / Poor...

Let me know...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013

3. ThePlateau

ThePlateau New Member

I'm sorry..I have no idea why I didn't think to add that info. The pistol is the Model Number: 5003 "Hunter Model" in .44mag, 7.5" barrel, with the factory scope "notches" on top of the barrel, wood grips. No porting, adjustable rear sight. It looks almost identical to the picture in this link http://www.ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5003.html
    With the main difference being that mine has been polished to a high shine vs the brushed look in the picture. I won't be able to take any pictures until tomorrow sometime, but I will do so as soon as possible and get them up here if you don't mind taking a look at them. I appreciate your attention and efforts on my behalf.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

That is a very nice Redhawk specimen...aforementioned book prices follow:

NIB.......EXC.....VG.....Good.....Fair.....Poor

All these prices are subjective...and NOT based on the market at this time.

A collector may pay the prices above, but a gun shop who needs to make a profit will lowball.

5. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Considering you can buy brand new Redhawks for less than what Blue Blue says, I certainly wouldn't go from that. Used ones locally are in the $600 range so figure $450 or so in trade-in value. Remember, the dealer needs to make a reasonable profit and with it not being a high-demand model, it's quite likely to sit on the shelf for a while. If the shop has others of the same, it makes it have an even less likely quick sell.
    I certainly don't see a dollar:dollar trade for the aforementioned Glock. Maybe a LC9. Camp Carbine...with what they're going for now, unlikely.

As a side note, the parts for those Marlins are becoming less and less available. Just something to consider.

6. ThePlateau

ThePlateau New Member

I cannot believe how hard it was to get a picture of this gun. The reflection of lighting and/or flash would bleach out the shot and if I turned off the flash the image got too dark to see detail. I finally had to take it out to my garage and take some shots on top of my washing machine by a window to get a halfway decent picture and even then it doesn't really capture the gun. I hope these help. The gun is in very good shape in my opinion but I am sure "very good" is more scientifically calculated in the trade/resale arena. Feel free to comment on what you see/don't see in the pictures and give any opinions you may have as far as condition/value. The most noticeable difference is the polished shine on my specimen compared to the average Redhawk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blkhawk73 : I appreciate you stepping up with your information. The camp 9 information is a heart breaker. I have always wanted one, the next step down from that would be a Kel-Tec sub2000 and they have increased in price way beyond their actual material worth in my book. I guess I should focus my search on my needs vs my wants and that is CCW. I have a few semi-autos but now I am left without a small revolver in my collection so I think I will also shop around for short barreled .38/.357's and see what's out there.

Thanks Again for taking the time to check out my post and for offering your advice and opinions.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013