Red for sight for new9mm pc carbine?

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by ron4735, Mar 18, 2020.

1. ron4735

ron4735 New Member

Just bought model #19115....MagPul Fore end, regular butt stock, iron sights. Will use for home defense & targeting under 25 yards viewing above line-of-sight of iron sights. I'm 75 years old with 20/40 corrected vision which will diminish over years to come. What price range, name brand/models should I consider? I don't understand what MOA means or its' relevance to choice. ANY assistance will be appreciated!

2. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

For your situation don’t worry about MOA. If you were shooting at distance then a small number MOA means a smaller dot so as not to obscure the target. This also means a higher cost for that smaller Dot size. You might try any of the following:
    Bushnell TRS-25
    Sig Sauer Romeo5
    Holosun HS403
    Primary Arms Micro Dot
    There are many others that may work as well. You really should go to a good gun store and check one out. You need no magnification for the range and caliber you are shooting, again that is going to add cost.
    You may want to wait until the craziness settles down. Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020

3. ron4735

ron4735 New Member

Great advice. Will review all of these. Thanks! Be safe.

4. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

With 9mm, even in a carbine, 100 yards is THE limit of its accuracy/lethality range. That said you should never need more than 3X for a red dot sight.

My PS90, whose flat shooting 5.7 x 28 cartridge is lethal to 200 yards uses a Vortex SPARC II red dot and does well with it.

Eric B.

5. ron4735

ron4735 New Member

Can I shoot 9mm FMJ’s in carbine right out of the box?...or do I need to clean/lubricate anything first. Someone told me factory lubrication adequate for first firing. This is my first rifle so want to do it right first time out tomorrow(4-4-2020). Need some quick advice before noon Saturday if possible from anyone please. Thanks in advance to all who reply!

6. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

I am by no means an expert, but I suggest you always do a cleaning before firing a new gun (and definitely do one for a used gun purchase). The manual should explain how to do a cleaning, and I'm sure you could find a video or two online to help, too.

7. ron4735

ron4735 New Member

Will do the cleaning. Thanks!

8. ron4735

ron4735 New Member

9. ron4735

ron4735 New Member

Newest Gen 2 Vortex CF-RD2 Crossfire red dot sight. Street price around $149. Almost decided on this one because of Lifetime warranty and great customer service backup...according to many LGS's and individuals encountered. Thoughts?

10. 0311

0311 Member

The holosun 403 series is right around the same price and I would recommend them over the vortex. I like vortex scopes but their red dots not so much. I have a gen 2 crossfire. It's an okay optic. Living in sunny AZ the dot does not get super bright for shooting in the middle of the day. Battery life is also not very good. All of my holosuns are brighter, better battery life, still have a warranty, and I haven't broken any of them. (Yet.) I've seen lots of vortex dots fail, and have broken 3 myself.

11. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

I'd say an inexpensive but reliable red dot sight from Burris or Bushnell would be good for this carbine. I put on a mid-priced Vortex SPARC 2 red dot on my FN PS90 carbine.

Eric B.

12. BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS

BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS Active Member

I recommend Primary Arms Classic Series 1-4x24mm SFP Rifle Scope with - Illuminated Duplex Dot . I am driving tacks with this on my PC 9 Carbine Rifle I even took it on a Feral Hog Hunt where I scored x3 200 pound plus Feral Hogs 124 grain +P HST.