Red Dot recommendation: Ruger #19115 PC carbine 9mm?

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by ron4735, Mar 15, 2020.

1. ron4735

ron4735 New Member

Wednesday, March 18, 2020, will FINALLY purchase model #19115(after long consideration of #19121). Will use rifle for home defense and targeting (under 50 ft) at range. Do not understand all the "spec" terminology of optics for this carbine so cannot make an informed choice of sights.Need education on these terms and how to apply them to my indicated uses. Name brands and model number recommendations would be helpful. What reasonable range of "red dot" prices should I consider or expect? I understand that you only need to place the red dot(i.e. laser dot) on the target and engage without looking through the lens. I do understand "co-witness" and will not attempt it.(I have CT lasers on my pistols for use in home at night for intrusions.) Anyway, any assistance would be most appreciated.Many thanks in advance to those who respond.

2. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

Red dot is not a laser. A red dot is a sight that you look through to acquire your target. A laser projects a red or green dot onto your target. With a M-Lok system such as on the model 19115 you would have to find a laser with that type of mounting system.
    So what do you desire? A red dot sight that would mount on the top of the Picatinny rail or
    A laser sight that would mount underneath on your M-Lok rail?

3. ron4735

ron4735 New Member

4. ron4735

ron4735 New Member

Red dot. Sorry for confusion..I obviously need the education on terms. Thanks for the clarification. What red dot recommendations might you have! Thanks again!

5. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

Gosh that’s like asking what car should you drive. Some red dots will cost more than your carbine. Search the internet for a red dot on a 9mm carbine, there are some good suggestions out there.
    Here a list of what I look for in a red dot:
    1) price, what can You afford but stretch for the best in your price range.
    2) Battery, good battery life and a common battery type. You must be able to change the battery without taking the red dot off the carbine. Every time you remove it is a rezero.
    3) size, it needs to look good on your rifle and should not be real bulking as this is a home defense gun.
    4) Things you may not need, magnification, waterproof, super light.
    Good luck in your search and be sure and post pictures of what it finally looks like.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  6. Litehiker

Litehiker Active Member

Look at the very rugged Vortex SPARC 2 red dot. (the longer SPARC) Very tough for the money. Got one on my PS90.
    Eric B.

7. ron4735

ron4735 New Member

Thanks to all! Will use your advice.