Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious what some of the members are using for red dots? I've looked at bushnell trs 25 and sig Romeo 5. Do I need a short riser block or just mount to the rail? I'm a newby when it comes to red dots. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be mounted on the receiver flat top. I'll use it for home defense. It would be good to co witness with the iron sights.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'll use it for home defense.
Doubtful you'll ever get to use it, learn 'to point' shoot, follow your natural aim with your index finger. Practice it with your eyes closed. Start with both your hands at your side, eyes closed come up and just before you reach center point your finger, open your eyes to see where it's pointing.

I'm strictly a close in person (25 feet or less) or get off me senario and I can't shoot worth a damn, sights mean nothing to me.

Good luck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just my opinion, but I believe that if you are going to get a red dot for a gun you might fight for your life with, I would get an Aimpoint, Trijicon, or whatever brand of proven red dot you want. Holosun would be the cheapest I would go for a defensive firearm. Aimpoint T2's are around $750. A Trijicon MRO, SRO, or RMR is going to run around $450. A Holosun like the 403/503 series can be found from $150-$250ish. Your question about mount will depend on what optic you pick, and what mounts are supplied with that optic. Holosun usually sends a low mount plus an absolute co-witness mount. For any of the others I mentioned, you will either have to purchase a mount separately or look for a deal that includes a mount.

Some of those cheaper dots are fine for a plinking or range rifle. Ideally, for a defensive firearm, you want a dot that is not fragile, you can simply leave it on all the time, and has very long battery life.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just curious what some of the members are using for red dots? I've looked at bushnell trs 25 and sig Romeo 5. Do I need a short riser block or just mount to the rail? I'm a newby when it comes to red dots. Thanks in advance.
I use these no riser needed !

·
Registered
432 Posts
Reactions: 72Cheyenne

·
Registered
210 Posts
Doubtful you'll ever get to use it, learn 'to point' shoot, follow your natural aim with your index finger. Practice it with your eyes closed. Start with both your hands at your side, eyes closed come up and just before you reach center point your finger, open your eyes to see where it's pointing.
It doesn't make much sense to use a handgun exercise for practicing aiming a rifle.

A wise man once said, "Never take firearm-related advice from someone who doesn't even know how one operates."

I take it from your reference to the flat-top receiver that you're talking about an AR pattern rifle. Since you've opted for a rifle for home defense, may I ask what your home layout is like and what potential scenarios you envision using that rifle for? I ask because I've found that most (though certainly not all) people who decide on something like an AR for the job of home defense weapon haven't really thought through its suitability to the task. I'm not assuming that applies in your case, but it's common enough that it bears asking about. The typical home consist of, among other things, narrow halls and doorways that need to be maneuvered through, often in the dark. Doing so with a rifle (or indeed, any long gun) and eventually bringing it to bear without banging either the muzzle or buttstock into a wall or doorjamb is something of a challenge even under practice conditions, let alone with an adrenaline dump under the high stress of an actual home invasion scenario.

That said...I think that with regular practice, using a red dot as a rapid target acquisition solution on whatever firearm you're using is well suited to home defense. My own rifle wears a Vortex Crossfire II that I've been quite happy with, but I use it for hunting hogs and deer in conditions where shooting opportunities occur at ranges of under 100 yds.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It doesn't make much sense to use a handgun exercise for practicing aiming a rifle.

Who uses a rifle inside their home ? Too many YouTube tacti-cool video's I suppose.
The OP might get lucky and bag the bad person in the kitchen and still get the hog outside, maybe even the deer further in the woods.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Who uses a rifle inside their home ?
Who rushes to respond to a post without bothering to first read and understand what he's responding to? Oh, right...you.

Maybe learn how a gun works...and how to read...before offering any more advice.

·
Registered
210 Posts
LOL! Were you born with the IQ of a turnip, or is something you had to aspire to and work at over the course of decades?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Who uses a rifle inside their home ?
Maybe someone who has a situation that allows them to maneuver with a rifle in their home and wants to use a more effective firearm to defend themselves. You do have to be able to afford to buy a rife to accomplish this. It's also nice to get some professional training.

The OP might get lucky and bag the bad person in the kitchen and still get the hog outside, maybe even the deer further in the woods.
Your over-penetration concept is false. Intermediate rifle caliber self-defense rounds often have less of a chance of over-penetration in residential buildings than common handgun rounds and produce better terminal performance. There have been studies about this for decades now.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Intermediate rifle caliber self-defense rounds often have less of a chance of over-penetration in residential buildings than common handgun rounds and produce better terminal performance. There have been studies about this for decades now.
And even that risk can be mitigated (or essentially eliminated) by using frangible rounds.

·
Registered
160 Posts
And even that risk can be mitigated (or essentially eliminated) by using frangible rounds.
Agreed. I like to stick with 75 or 77 grain OTM or 75-grain gold dots for my home defense AR just because of the terminal performance but frangible rounds are a good point. They could be the way to go in some situations.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think this thread has run its course.
I hope you enjoy your Ruger pistol caliber carbine as much as I enjoy my PC9 Carbine I have put several optics on mine from Red Dots ,to a 3x9 Rifle Scope , to Night Vision Sightmark Photon & the Wraith .I have used it on Hogs & Coyotes with much success. That longer 16.5 " Barrel has a tad much more velocity than the short barreled pistols. I found it to be extremely accurate beyond 200 yards .I just wish they would make a magazine adaptor to be compatible with the SPRINGFIELD ARMORY XDM 9mm Magazines .

Reactions: 72Cheyenne
1 - 17 of 17 Posts