Recommended best self defense ammo for LCP 2

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Jazzccp, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best self defense ammo for an LCP 2? I’ve read opinions that FMJ is better than JHP because of the penetration factor. My LCP works fine with Speer Gold Dot JHP; however I’ve seen tests that the God Dots don’t meet the 12-18 inches of penetration recommended for self defense.

Thanks

2. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

The Hornady critical defense is designed for short barrel self defense guns. The polymers tip insures expansion versus penetration. I saw some Federal hydro shock test where they shot through and clothing and had no expansion. Why have a hollow point that does not expand? The Hornady does expand and shows a large wound channel in ballistic gel. That is why I carry the critical defense in my carry gun. Is it the best? I hope I never have to find out but I do have confidence in the round.

Manster likes this.

3. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

It's a .380, it's not going to be a great penetrator. Most premium hollowpoints from the top ammo companies should be good choices. I like Hornady but Remington, Speer, Winchester, etc. should all be just fine...

4. bill-e

bill-e New Member

I went with the Fiocchi Extrema. Watch this.

5. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I have run my own tests shooting 380 acp into hams covered in khaki work pants. Truncated Cone was best in my tests, followed by the Hornady XTP.

I use the Ranch Dog in my 380’s. While not really a TC, but a Round Flat, the flat nose acts like a plow. Penetration is good, as is the exit wound.

https://goo.gl/images/sEJJDS

6. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate them very much!

7. bill-e

bill-e New Member

8. Jazzccp

Jazzccp New Member

I contacted Ruger Customer Service and here is their reply regarding using XP ammo in an LCP2:
    “Many of our pistols are manufactured to handle +P ammunitions with the exception of our LCP.380 models. A steady diet of it is not recommended for the endurance life of the firearm. +P+ ammunition should not be used in our firearms.

Ruger Customer Service