Recommendations on LC9

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by DaddyGps, Feb 5, 2014.

1. DaddyGps

DaddyGps New Member

Any recommendations on how to improve shooting the LC9 without replacing components like the trigger? I want to get to a comfortable level of proficiency before I consider upgrades.

Also, can anyone confirm the following that I have seen other LC9's say:

"The galloway guide rod and spring upgrade improves accuracy."

"The galloway trigger bar and trigger upgrades have produced no failure to fire due to a light strike"

Thanks

2. Gwgw60

Gwgw60 New Member

Shoot it a lot. After 1200 rounds, I don't even think of the long trigger pull anymore and no longer plan to so a trigger upgrade.

3. weblance

weblance New Member

Watch the hammer in the channel as you draw the trigger back. Just as the hammer goes below the seam where the slide meets the frame, the gun is very close to firing. This will help your confidence with its accuracy.

With the way things are today, with lawyers, and litigation, I would be very careful modifying any carry pistol. If you end up in court after a self defense shooting, they will use everything they can to make you look like the criminal. A modified gun is just something the lawyer can use against you.

4. DaddyGps

DaddyGps New Member

So, if I do not feel confident with the LC9 but I do with the SR9c, then the SR9c is the better choice for me?

5. bonefamily

bonefamily New Member

That would be my feeling. However, with more training you just might get as confident with the LC9 as your are with the SR9C. Until then, the SR9C would be my choice of carry in this situation.

6. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

I think a big misconception is that guns like the LCP and the LC9 etc, should shoot like range guns. These types of guns are small and easy to conceal, are for self defense and personal protection. The long trigger pulls are to make sure when you shoot.....its for a reason. I practice with my LCP quite often to be ready for "social work". I love the SR series....great guns to shoot, but at times can be hard to conceal. Just keep practicing and before you know it you will be comfortable with the LC9....

7. trainman

trainman Member

Good advice Biker. I totally agree. I have an LCR and take it to the range all the time, just to keep comfortable with it. I expect it to shoot like my Vaqueros, and it don't, but I keep reminding myself that is not what it is for. I also agree about the trigger pull.
    thanks

8. buildit

buildit Goofy Owner

I am actually more accurate with the LC9 than my G17gen4. Trigger pull seems to be the big issue for most and all I can say about that is shoot it like a revolver. Don't try to grab for that next shot so fast. Pull the trigger all the way home and hold with a firm grip as the shot fires. Then relax and let the trigger reset for the next shot. ;)

9. silvergoose

silvergoose New Member

Responses #3 and #6 bring up very important points. Shoot a few boxes of your favorite ammo, both range and defense rounds. Try the weapon in as many conditions(weather) as possible. Trigger pull and reset can and do feel different with gloves on or hot/cold hands.

Webalance(#3) brought up a good point, be careful of certain modifications to the trigger. A good attorney could own your assets.