Recoil Spring Question

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by DrDenby, Jul 27, 2016.

1. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

Have any of you had experience with using a variable rate recoil spring?

I have read about them and have a slight understanding about what they are SUPPOSED to do but

I would like to hear from someone who has actually used them and what effects/benefits/problems etc you have had with them.

Doc

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Doc,

I have bought some recoil springs from the Wolfe company but have not used them yet. Many of the pro shooters use lighter springs however you can get one that is too light and the action will not work properly. They are not that expensive. Usually recoil springs will last thousand of rounds. Are you sure that you need some already? Not being nosy, just asking. BTW-cost wise is only about $6-8.00 per spring and depending on which pistol you are using. Brownell's also has them.

Tommy

3. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

Hey, Tommy

I have a LLama 1911 and I am not happy with the spring action.

I tried a few different rate springs and still not really satisfied and just curious about the variable.

I did find one for $7.10 and think I will just get it and try it.

If anyone is interested, I can go ahead and post the results after I put it in and shoot in a couple weeks.

Doc

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I don't have clear in my head what a variable rate spring is intended to accomplish. Whazzit about?

5. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

I am not clear either VT, I have a vague idea but not even enough to be able to explain what i THINK i know about it.

Doc

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Variable rate springs have been around for many years....just not for guns so much..

Straight Springs – aka Linear springs, have a spring rate that is consistent along the entire length of the spring as it is compressed. Progressive springs on the other hand, have a spring rate that increases or changes with the compression of the spring. An easy way to tell progressive rate from linear rate springs visually is that a with a progressive spring, the amount of space between every winding, or coil, of the spring is different.

Jim

7. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

Yeah, that's what I got from it too, Jim.

But what I am unclear with (and I am probably not the only one) is what would be its advantages/disadvantages, when is one better, why.

Doc

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Doc,
    First of all why are you changing out your recoil spring? Is the old one worn enough so you don't have total ejection and return? If that is so, then you need to find out what Llama used for a spring when new or find out the equivalent. Springs should last a long time however, if you are not the new owner, meaning bought it new, you have no idea of how many rounds were put through it. I have heard different theories that with too little spring the recoil will not allow the slide to fully return (this happens if you are shooting a semi auto .22) and if the spring is also weak, it will eventually wreak havoc on your bolt and slide or so I was told. Some guys say the use a lighter spring to lighten the recoil however I don't see how a spring that uses 2lbs. difference can make that much difference on recoil. The Colt Ace had problems with springs but it has been so many years since I have been around one and my memory sure ain't much good now. Oh, one guy told me that with a lighter spring the action will work faster. I don't quite equate to that unless you would be cowboy shooting and if you were, you wouldn't use a semi auto. Let me know how you turn out.

Tommy

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  9. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

If you're shooting light loads, or using either a compensated, or silenced barrel then a variable rate spring might improve overall performance and reliability; however, the rest of the time a conventional (straight) spring will be the more functional of the two designs.