Recent member and owner of a Ruger 10/22.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by 486, Feb 23, 2014.

1. 486

486 New Member

I'm from Sanford,North Carolina and just got my first Ruger over the weekend. I love to target shoot rim fires. I have a Savage Mark 2 that came with an accu trigger and bull barrel. I topped it with a Center Point 4-16x40 and with Wolf Match Extra it can shoot dime size groups at 50 yards. I bought the Ruger because I saw a show a few days ago on a outdoor channel just about how dependable and accurate they are. I'm hoping I can make this gun even better than the Savage without spending my life savings. :) I talked with a local gunsmith and he suggested to first have trigger and head space work.
    Can anyone give me more detailed suggestions on the type of stuff I need to do to make this a great target shooter? Like what brand of parts are better, stock and barrel preferences. This shooter is going to be a work in progress, but as the say Rome wasn't built in a day.
    I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

2. 486

486 New Member

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1393218753.907092.jpg
    I know it's not a Ruger, but it's a good shooting rim fire with Wolf Match Extra. The best part is I only paid a little over two hundred.
    I'm looking forward to getting my 10/22 even better.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Them Savages are hard to beat ,outta the box for accuracy.

Heres my MarkII FVSR

[​IMG]

Jim

4. 486

486 New Member

Which do you think shoots better groups Jim? What ammo does either one prefer? My good friend has a Savage Mark 2 and it shoots the Federal bulk supply stuff you can get at Walmart really good. He got lucky with that one. :)

5. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I havent had a chance to shoot the savage yet. Just got it.
    I bought it to experiment with bedding the barrell as opposed to free float ,for accuracy.

Bolt action rifles will usually perform better accuracy than a semi auto or lever action.

With my other .22 Rifles, my best groups are with Eley match 40 gr RN, and Wolf.
    The Fed bulk, nad CCI shoot good, just not as consistent.
    I weigh and inspect ,for any defects , and chrony all ammo, when Im shooting for consistence.
    When plinking, I dont care.

Jim

6. bonefamily

bonefamily New Member

Welcome to the forums!! That Savage sounds like a good one and I'm sure you'll get that 10/22 going good as well :)

7. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

Welcome from Texas!

8. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to RugerTalk !

9. jbardellini

jbardellini Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the forum..

10. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Savages are darn good right out of the box in my experience. Clean 'em up, Frog Lube a tiny bit and just see what ammo your particular one prefers.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  11. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

The Ruger… Well, that's my thing. ;) Have 17 or so here currently, at least 3 built for others and currently have an additional 3 planned for myself. They range from simple budget builds to full makeovers. Been there done that I guess fits. :) Have tried a lot of the different options and components and each chosen after quite a bit of reading, searching, and discussing the particular components with those that actually use them.

Start by simply deciding what you want. Do you want a particular look, a minimum about of performance, etc? Decide on that and then just start looking at pictures to get ideas from what others have done. Once you have an idea about what that end result shall be, decide on a budget. It's then you start shopping, seeing what retailer has what and prices. Don't get caught up with fancy marketing and big names. When a review says "it's the best" consider what the person has tried besides that one example. Choose the parts that suit your needs rather than just go into it to spend the $$$$ thinking more is better. Not always the case! Try and keep things on a level playing field - it'll be a waste to go with a $300 trigger if your going with a lower level barrel of set-up.
    Before you even start think "I need this and I need this..." sit and think about what you want as a final product.
    • Do you want the upper level, top notch tack driver?
    • Do you want a general plinker?
    • Do you want something in the middle?
    • Any particular style or look you must have?
    • What's the realistic budget?

Once this is determined, it's then time to see what is available that fills the above answers. While shopping, keep in mind the big name brands you've heard of are NOT necessarily the best choice. You can very easily pay more for a brand name label than you do for the actual performance you'd gain.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  12. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Welcome to RugerTalk! Glad you've joined us! :)

13. Misty1946

Misty1946 New Member

Welcome to Ruger talk
    My newest 10/22 is the Muddy Girl had to have her to keep my Take Down company

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  14. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the Ruger family