Recall of my favorite ammo

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phideaux, Jul 24, 2017.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

2. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Haaahaaha! My wife pointed that out to me on the news this morning. Wonder what her motivation was behind this?

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,

You don't have to return the cans just because of a recall. They will make beautiful exploding targets especially if they are the phart type beans.:cryinglaugh::melikey:
    Set those cans on a fence post and pull out one of your cannons (45/70) or bigger, shoot the cans and as the beans fly through the air, pull out a couple of 6 guns and hit the beans while they are flying through the air.

Tommy

P.S. You could have Gumpy come down and count all the beans that are hit

*YYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNK***********

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  4. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Well, blazing saddles!

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1500950704.654883.jpg

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I noticed the recall didn't say buyers could get a refund on them. Buyers should just throw them away or call 1-800-callme.
    Tommy might have the best idea using them for exploding targets.

6. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

That kinda sounds fun. I wonder what a 22-250 would do to a big ol' can of bad beans? I think it's time for a range report with video.

7. gumpy

gumpy New Member

I've always wanted to shoot a 22-250. Reads like an accurate, low recoil round. How does it compare to a 308?

8. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I can tell ya a little of what I have experienced with my 22-250.

When I had my Shoot last year , we had several bowling pins hanging at 50 yards to shoot at with whatever you wanted to.

We shot those pins with .308, 30-06, 45-70, 9mm, 45 acp, and more ,

the ,308, 30-06, would put a nice hole in it, some thru, some not, the 45-70 put a big hole in it and would really get it swinging almost over the rail,

Thn I decided to just see what would happen with my Ruger M77 22-250,
    well, it hit it pretty hard danced a little, but was the only round that blew off half the pin, :eek:
    thinking it was a fluke , shot another, same thing ....just destroyed the pin, blew it apart,

Everybody left saying they were getting a 22-250.:cool::)

Hi velocity, kinetic energy, beat out IMO, the big bullets, and the lower velocity rounds.

Jim

9. gumpy

gumpy New Member

That's what I have read. I've wanted one ever since I read stats on it.

10. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Gumpy, I used to have a Savage .22-250. It was a model 12 FVSS, with 26 inch fluted heavy barrel. It also was the most accurate rifle I ever owned, with a best group of .418 at 100 yards, with factory ammo. It also hit small critters hard - like red mist and chunks flying hard. If you want a coyote/woodchuck/prairie dog rifle, I think 22-250 is the one you want. I never reloaded for it but I've been told it also is very easy to reload for, not finicky and doesn't have to be pushed real hard to get good velocity. Rule of thumb is that with 26 inch barrel you should get 400+ fps more than a .223 with the same bullet. Try one out, I almost guarantee you'll like it...

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I used to have a 22/250 that I used on fox, coyote and ground hogs. Talk about an accurate round!!! It was a Winchester XTR heavy barrel. The round is plenty hot the way it flies so you don't need to overload it. Back then (over 30) years ago they didn't have a lot of different ammo for it as they offer now but you really didn't need it if you were fox or coyote hunting because you wanted to save as much fur as possible. Many times I would go for a head shot.

Tommy