1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gi'day,
Standard, old, everyday ******.
Have a bunch of Rugers.
Primarily interested in getting an M44 carbine - SN 116xyza - shooting accurately - if possible.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Welcome to RugerTalk and you will find it is a very friendly group here.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Gi'day,
Standard, old, everyday ******.
Have a bunch of Rugers.
Primarily interested in getting an M44 carbine - SN 116xyza - shooting accurately - if possible.
I sold mine too long ago to remember much about it...

I don't remember if you said that you reload. If so, I think the approach I would take is to pick a bullet - say 240 grain JSP, and start with a mild load (that cycles the action of course) and work up, a couple grains at a time, and see what happens at the range.

I vaguely recall that the recoil had a significant muzzle-lift element to it - probably a stock geometry thing - that a shooting sling might control some. If I'm remembering that right, load variations would show an exaggerated vertical spread, eh?

That's about all I've got. Good luck.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Welcome to RugerTalk,

Thanks for the Introduction.

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
M44 Accuracy

I sold mine too long ago to remember much about it...
I don't remember if you said that you reload. If so, I think the approach I would take is to pick a bullet - say 240 grain JSP, and start with a mild load (that cycles the action of course) and work up, a couple grains at a time, and see what happens at the range.
Good advice Vthillman.
No I do not reload.
I vaguely recall that the recoil had a significant muzzle-lift element to it - probably a stock geometry thing - that a shooting sling might control some.
Right - "stock geometry thing". I had the same problem with 0.308 Savage 99C (grooved forearm) I usta have. Used an M1907.
If I'm remembering that right, load variations would show an exaggerated vertical spread, eh?
That's about all I've got. Good luck.
Thank you.
Received it with a complimentary M1 Garand, etc M1907 sling.
Shall use it next time at the range.
Still - the original sights need to be replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the welcomes.
Other than using a sling and tailored handloads what have you done to improve accuracy ?
What different (than original post and "V") sight are you using ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts