RAR magazines - why so $$$

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by VThillman, Feb 21, 2016.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

My Ruger American .22-250 rifle came with on magazine. I thought I would use the 20% discount number to buy a 2nd mag at the Ruger Store. Hah. They say gimme $40 ea. for them. This is a Fairly Flimsy, dismayingly flexible recycled plastic mag - not remotely resembling the ruggedness of the rotary mags for the 10/22 and 77/357 I own. what are these people thinking of?

I see that Bud's is listing them at $28 - big deal. They should be selling for $15 max. Actually, Ruger should redesign the mag to something that doesn't scream '1960s Chinese'. Or if you're old enough, 1948 Japanese.

:shocked:

2. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Supply and demand frequently contributes to the final cost, but if people are willing to pay what they ask, then that's what they'll cost. It's usually fair, but occasionally I feel a bit gouged when I'm buying something I can only get one or two places.....

3. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Seems you feel pretty strongly about this. Idea! If these are indeed so greatly overpriced, it should be a sure thing to start producing aftermarket ones. There's gotta be others feeling the same as you about their flimsy design and use of recycled plastic and then their overdone price point. Step up, put your money down and show everyone how it can be done but producing and selling them for your $15 price point. :) Surely it's money in the bank.

I guess you could have them made in China. ;)

Myself, accessories and extras are something considered before the firearm is purchased. ;)

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Can I hire you as PR man?

5. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

:Cooltu:

Just so very easy - and common - to think the way things are done could be easily done another way, especially in business by those NOT in that field. My go-to is always to just say as I did. If you know it and think it can be done as you say, by all means, step up. :) Haven't seen anyone do so.

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

That mag reminds me of stuff from Japan made circa 1950. Sounds like you can duplicate it cheaper - go for it, if crap is your style. Ruger has a rep for quality products; Screwing with that rep is their choice, not mine.

7. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

*sigh* YOU are the one that said they should be $15 max. So again, if it can be done, DO IT! Show us how what you say can be done. But wait...seems if this mag is so horrible the customer would've noticed that BEFORE and not after the purchase. Maybe if a customer examined the gun a bit closer before the purchase... ;) I guess some expect a lot more from a base level, mass produced rifle. :)

Perhaps looking at what all those "recycle plastic" mags for HK's all for. How could they? :eek:

8. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

9. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

3 minutes and found them for $29.49 and $23.82 from two diff online retailers.

10. phideaux

You got links ?

Jim

11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I've already mentioned $28 from Bud's. Same crap of course.

Note to the Maniac: I bought the gun online (no LGS had one). Made a mistake and assumed Ruger quality. I'm 78.5 y.o., but maybe I can still learn a lesson from this experience.

13. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Perhaps the lesson may be to not necessarily judge a book by it's cover. This whole "it's crap" is seemingly based only on your opinion that this magazine is "dismayingly flexible recycled plastic mag" and comparing it to those of the 10/22 and 77/357. I'm curious if this "crap" has actually cause any issues or made the rifle unsafe. I know both Tikka and Sako use polymer, sorry... recycled plastic magazines in their rifles as well and those are hardly entry level rifles like the American.
    Everyone cried and whined when they changed the 10/22 components to polymer basing their tears on unproven facts and mostly just personal opinions. While some I honestly believe just are unable to accept change then and still, it's turned put the newer trigger assembly actually worked out as good, if not better.
    Until this actually demonstrates it's in fact "crap"... ;)

Now, I can add that I have read on issues some American rifles are having and yup, it's with the magazine BUT it's with the spring tension coupled with the tightness of the feedlips surfaces apparently and not on the materials used. Some that baby the bolt while cycling it find it not feeding correctly occasionally. The tightness causes the cartridge to angle downward creating too steep of an angle for feeding properly. Easy fix - shave off a verrry slight amount of that area.
    Just some friendly info from a Maniac. :)

14. divetex

divetex New Member

Trying to save some $$%, I bought a RAR in .243 instead of the M77. Not a bad rifle for a lower-end, but the magazines? What a joke. The one that came with the rifle had serious feeding issues. I bought 4 more from a third party dealer, and 3 of the 4 had the same issue as the one from Ruger. Ruger should be ashamed to sell a piece of junk like that. I would have gladly paid more for quality mags.

15. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

OK. I 'fixed' the mag that came with the gun, with 'contact cleaner', compressed air, Slick 50 '1 Lube', and more compressed air. Sighted the gun in Monday, that mag worked fine. The 2nd mag wouldn't feed at all. Did the treatment to it, will check out my work today at the range. [Range report coming, I hope.]

I'm sure that Ruger doesn't make these mags; seems like they ought to do some QC inspecting when they get them in.

16. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

As mentioned in my range report today, the mags did not perform well. One of the two performed poorly. I mulled the problem over (and under and sideways) and decided to ignore the obvious plasticity of the feed lips. What else might be relevant?

Hey! This is a multi-purpose magazine; it is meant to accommodate the .243 Winchester, 7mm-08 and .308 cartridges as well as the .22-250 Remington. So... it turns out that the case body diameters, back and front and length, are the same for those first three cartridges. Shucks, one magazine ought to do for them. The .22-250 has more taper in the case body though. Only .003" smaller at the back, but .038" smaller at the front. Aha!

Well, those thin, soft, flexible magazine lips can be expected to accommodate that difference, eh? At least Ruger must think so.

That's all I've got. I'm 99.9% sure that Ruger isn't going to rethink their choice of materials, especially since that would probably require a .22-250-specific magazine. There is also the possibility that the question: "Hey, what did you expect for $300?" is regularly heard in their offices.

If my brother Sheridan were still with me, he would probably try to make me a magazine. He only worked in wood though... .

17. phideaux

Havent researched it....but is it possible that a mag from a Ruger M77 MarkII ( like mine in 22-250) or some other MFG may be used , or slightly modified to work?

Every gun maker on this planet ,I think, made bolt rifle in 22-250....No?

just thinking out loud.

Jim

18. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I certainly don't know. The only 77 MkII I've seen is my 77/357. The latch is different, and on the other end of the mag. I think it would have to be a rotary though, to be fat enough.

I suspect it's just 'one of those things, those crazy things'. My .22 Hornet Roller is missing the extractor, I fish the empty case out with a 'custom made' hook. Some guns may exist with the intent to build 'character'. Dunno if Ruger had intent here, but that's what they got.