Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of the bragging I have been doing about my RAPC9 caught up with me today. Took it out to test in cold weather. It was 12 degrees, but the gun was in a case in a warm truck; so I do not think cold was a factor. Fired one round, and the nothing but lite strikes. Tried Winchester and Federal. Gun has almost 2000 trouble free rounds thru it. Brought it home and pulled the striker out - I could hear the spring binding as I pushed it into the striker. When I released pressure it did not come completely out of the striker body, I had to pull the last coil out. Very disappointed. Love this heavy duty chassis, and I am going to see if Galloway can help make it work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Put a Galloway stainless guide rod in the striker, with the original Ruger spring, and gun runs fine. Ruger should replace all of those plastic rods. Also, thanks to Galloway for the quick delivery.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Strikers suck period. I’m old and old school: get a gun with a hammer!!! I have a Beretta that swallows ammo from garbage steel cases to beautiful Sig rounds with high velocities with nary a hiccup. Not one stove pipe or misfire in over 5000 rounds. And yes-she has a plastic guide rod-yet no problems. I love Ruger revolvers but they need help and advice with their pistols. I have three Berettas and will never buy any other pistol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree. I had a striker fired Ruger and all kinds of mis fires. Not cool on a pistol made with today's technology. Really not excusable in today's world. If I got a bad one that's one thing but there are many posts of the same issue. Too bad.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update on the striker, and a new problem with mag. Started getting lite strikes again with the stainless striker rod and Ruger spring combination. So I installed the Galloway spring and all is well, again, temporarily. I slammed in a mag with the finger groove base plate, and the base plate popped off. I figured that the the button on the spring seat was not protruding into the hole in the base plate properly. Wrong - the plastic base plate rail was cracked. I guess the finger extension works as a lever on the base plate, making it prone to crack and fail. This RAPC 9mm is driving me crazy, but I am determined to make it reliable. One good thing, if the base plate falls off, the mag is still temporarily functional. The spring seat plate holds the rounds in the mag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts