RAP Compact lack of accuracy

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by berippke, Feb 13, 2017.

1. berippke

berippke New Member

I recently purchased a new Ruger American Compact pistol. I've put about 500 rounds through it and am struggling to hit a paper target at 15 yards. I can come close to the bullseye at 5, but there's no consistency to the shots. I've had other Rugers, and they've all been very accurate. Generally I look to the operator before blaming the pistol, but I'm getting pretty frustrated with it.

Thoughts?

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well, maybe it just doesn't fit you. You really need to benchrest it, to see if it's the gun or you.

3. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

• Try different ammo
    • Have another person shoot it
    • Shoot it from a rest and see if it makes a difference

It may be it just doesn't suit you. Have had some models I could shoot fine and others that I couldn't.

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

If you haven't tried multiple ammo types that's a good place to start. I'd also check the sights to make sure they aren't loose.

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

As mentioned above, try new ammo and shoot from a rest

6. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have had guns that I couldn't hit a 5 gallon bucket but the people that bought the gun had no problem hitting the bucket. For me it is all about how the gun fits my hand trigger reach.
    Dry fire the gun and see where your first finger joint is at. If it is riding the side of the gun then you will/could have problems. When you flex finger to pull trigger the muscle, if riding the side of gun, can move the gun. You should be able to see light between your finger and the side of the gun. Not saying this is the problem but it is something to check for.

Also it is appreciated when new members use the introduction thread telling about themselves. It usually gets new members off to a better start.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    67stingray likes this.
  7. berippke

berippke New Member

Thanks for the numerous suggestions. I really appreciate it. Also, I'll put together an introduction message when I can use a keyboard instead of my phone. Thanks again.

8. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

My new RAP Compact seemed to [email protected] yards just fine.

The gun is pretty pudgy, but shoots solid due to its 29 ounces, plus.

9. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

I too wonder what kind of ammo you are shooting. It seems both the compact and full size (which I have) will shoot anything 100% reliable, but these pistols really seem most accurate with 147gr either fmj or jhp standard speed ammo. I have a full size but when I was looking fired a good bit of ammo through both the duty size and compact and when I used 147, the accuracy was much better (shrank it from 2.5 or 3" at 10 yards to 1.5 to 2 depending on brand). I also found my groups shrank when I applied talon grip tapes (rubbery worked best for me) . Just the view from my eyes and hands.

10. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

Hi guys.

I shot my RAP 9 C for the second time yesterday.

Shot my RAMI 9mm beside it and with some trigger love,,was able to
    outshoot my [email protected] the 12 yards I was shooting at.

The RAP takes some time to dial in on the trigger, but you get some nice
    grouping after that.

Although it, or it's bigger brother than I had for a while is as superbly accurate as the
    9mm CMD.

11. berippke

berippke New Member

Update: I recently changed out the sights on my RAPC. Went with TruGlo TFX Pros. Now this pistol is scary accurate. I think my old eyes were just having a hard time picking up the Novak’s reliably. Coupled with the fact that this gun will eat virtually any flavor of ammo consistently, it’s now one of my favorite shooters. Thanks again to all who responded.

67stingray likes this.
  12. John Swenson

John Swenson Member

I think the RAP is tricky to shoot accurately, but once you figure it out it is fine. I could not shoot my normally good groups at 15 yards that I shoot easily with all of my other pistols. The pistol is light and the trigger is different from anything else I have, but after getting accustomed to that trigger it seems natural. I group good at 15 yards and hit a man sized steal plate a 50 yards, usually 5 out of 6 shots with my RAPC9. But I shoot better with my new Sec. 9 right out of the box. And my 1911 puts them all to shame. But for daily carry I always pick the plastic pistol.

13. John Swenson

John Swenson Member

Funny story. Why I am afraid to say a pistol is not accurate. I was an Army MP's, and one day on the range at 7 yards, a male MP said his 1911 would not hit the target, it was so loose it rattled and the sights were too small. He wanted a .38 like the female MP's were qualifying with. A big Sgt. walked up and took his 1911, pointed it at the target and turned his head completely in the opposite direction and fired 7 rounds into about a 5 inch group on the target. Since then I have been afraid to blame the gun.